Chapter 3-The tour

This will be in 1st person from now its easier for me to write like that. Also, thanks to all the people who are supporting this book. I know its only got a few reads but thanks to those who are voting, reading etc. Its nice to know that some guys are/were reading this as well! Please comment and give me feedback, i'd like to know what you guys think. :)

---------------------------------------

Chapter 3 - The tour

Thomas's POV

I leaned against a tree, waiting for Chuck to come back from the kitchens. It hadn't really dawned on me, that I was here. That I was in a strange place, with strange people, not even knowing who I was. I looked around at the Glade again, to take a proper look. 

The wooden building was in the north west corner, the trees in the south west. The farm area was spread across the whole north east quarter of the Glade. The animals were in the south east. In the middle was the box. The door was still open.

I thought about jumping back in and closing the doors, if it would take me home, give me my memories back. But what I really wondered was if getting my memories back would be a good thing. So far it felt like I was in a prison, in this Glade, with a bunch of kids, no more aware of the real world than I was. What if we were put in here for a reason. Maybe the world was a prison, and we were in the safe haven. 

But back to the box, beside it was a small concrete building. There were no windows, only an iron door with a round handle for an entrance. I didn't know if wanted to know what was inside, or whether i'd rather just leave it. 

Just as I started examining the walls, Chuck came over with his arms full of food. He had two sandwiches, two apples, and two metal cups of water. 

"Frypan wasn't too happy about me invading his kitchen before supper," he said, sitting down next to me. "Come on, sit down."

I sat down and grabbed a sandwich. But as I was abut to eat it, the image of Ben withering around, all pale and veiny came to mind. I pushed it back and ate a mouthful, pleasing my stomach. 

"So whats wrong with Ben?" I asked. Chuck looked over to where Ben was, squinting his eyes. 

"I don't even really know. I didn't see him." I could tell Chuck wasn't telling me the truth but I didn't ask anymore.He was the only friend I had and I didn't want to lose him. 

"What's out there? And I mean whats really out there. Dont say I don't know because I know you know," I said. 

"Look, I really dont know. I've only been here a month and no one tells me anything," He looked down and muttered, "you're the first friend i've had."

Pang. That last part really hit me hard. But I still didn't fall for it. 

"Nice try but I know your hiding something. I may be the new guy but i'm not that thick." 

"Fine. I'm lying ok. I'm not telling you anything so just go away already," he said. It was really starting to get to me now. What is wrong with these people? What on earth is so bad that I cant even know. 

Frustrated, I stood up and started walking to the nearest openings. Chuck suddenly stood up, yelling at me. 

"Whoa! Jeezus. The doors are about close you idiot." 

"What doors?" I asked. Seriously, this kid is mental. 

"Well what do you call these big openings?" Chuck pointed to the openings, looking at me as if I was the dumbest kid on the planet. 

"I'd call them big openings.

Chuck just sighed. "They're doors. They lead to the maze. Just wait a minute. The runners will come back and the doors will close."