Chapter 31- Lucifer

RAT-A-TAT-TAT-TAT!

POW!

POW!

POW!

I watch as Snake pulls his bitch back and then throws himself in front of our spray of bullets. His big un-dead ass is lifted about three feet in the air before crashing back on the white concrete steps on top of his new bride.

"FIVE POPPIN', SIX DROPPIN', NIGGAS!" For a few seconds it feels like shooting fish in a barrel.

They fall one after another. He's Mason's brother. That shit loops around in my head. My finger eases off the trigger as Tombstone floats our asses off into the distance. I pay no attention to the bullets whizzing by my head as the Vice Disciples' army spills out of the church to return fire. Suddenly, I'm uncomfortable about the emotions whirling inside me.

On the one hand, I'm thrilled see to his big, ugly ass go down and on the other, I'm attacked by the image of Snake clutching his brother and weeping from his soul.

RAT-A-TAT-TAT-TAT!

POW!

POW!

POW!

Through the exchange of gunfire, I catch sight of Stacy, standing boldly at the church door. For a brief second our eyes connect, a transmission of an understanding passes between us and if I'm not mistaken, a ghost of a smile haunts the corners of her lips.

"Yes, goddamn it! Yes!" Dice punches his fist into the air.

"We got that muthafucka. Did you see his face?"

"Guess his ass wasn't dead,"Tombstone says.

"He's dead now," Dice declares.

My chest swells with pride. I'm happy to give him this moment. Calling him was the right thing to do. Who knows-maybe we can even begin to repair the bridge between us? At least I can hope.

"Pussy-ass punk niggas," Dice spits, slapping in a second clip.

"We ought to back up and shoot his ass again. The muthafucka got nine lives." The back window explodes and Novell spits out a stream of curses.

"Fuck! Those roaches got me!"

I drop back in from the car's window, spin around, and hit the interior light. "Let me see."

Novell moans and groans like a bitch about to drop a baby. Stretching back over the seat, I snatch the sleeve on his T-shirt up and examine the damage.

"Get the fuck out of here. It's nothing but a scratch. The way you're carrying on I thought your ass was really hurt." Dice and Tombstone laugh.

Novell's face twists up. "Yeah. Whatever. That nigga, Snake, got more than a scratch. We cut his ass in half. That shit was for our man Fat Ace. May he rest in peace."

I shut off the light and flop around in my seat. "Fuck yeah," Tombstone cosigns, nodding and checking the rearview mirror to make sure that the coast was still clear.

Wedding. I can't fucking believe it. When Stacy dropped dime about that shit I thought I was going to pop a blood vessel. Like how dare that freak of nature go on about his shit while my man is rotting at the bottom of the Mississippi River. Maybe we should go back and shoot his ass again. I close my eyes and savor the taste of revenge, but it's already bitter on my tongue. My elation fades into the black hole where my heart used to be.

"After taking out that muthafucka, our name is going to ring out in the streets," Novell boasts. "The throne is yours, Lucifer. Ain't nobody gonna doubt that shit after tonight."