Chapter Seven

The limo had swung around town, since the band had asked for a correct tour of the city. They all found America to be exciting and new and bold. Me? I could take it or leave it. Casha peered out the window and gasped once or twice during the drive, but that was it.

"This is quite a place," Brian said, having not looked away from the window the entire trip.

"Oh, and would you look at all these new stores?" Freddie exclaimed. "Mary, you and I should go shopping."

"Ha, ha," Mary uttered sarcastically. "We don't have the time or money, Freddie."

"I have plenty of time."

Mary and Freddie were possibly the best couple I had ever seen. They had their disagreements and predicaments, but it seemed that nothing could pull them apart. They were so sweet to one another, and it killed me to think that one day they would split.

John and Veronica also sung in harmony. They pointed out the window and murmured quietly to one another throughout the drive. Brian and Chrissie on the other hand, who were married, chattered to each other loud enough for everyone to hear. It was talk about their apartment – or British term, flat – so nothing interesting. Roger sat in the corner and stared out of the window in dismay. He looked rather melancholy, if you ask me. I just talked to Casha though, instead of bothering to ask if he was okay.

The limo came to halt in front of a glamorous-looking club. It had a glowing aqua sign and had a window full of advertisements for the club on the front. The brick seemed to compliment the blue-green sign and even the sidewalk below.

"Do you think anybody'll notice us here?" Roger asked, looking at nothing else but the window.

"Probably not," Brian answered solemnly. "America doesn't know much of us."

"Then why are you going on tour here?" I inquired, raising an eyebrow cautiously.

"Tour?" Veronica laughed. "John, you told me that-"

"Uh, we may have bent the truth a little," Freddie murmured shyly, biting his lip.

"A little?" Mary chuckled. She turned to me with a crooked smile, shaking her head. "Hadley, they're just a warm-up act for Mott the Hoople."

"Oh," I muttered. I had forgotten about that.

"Just? Just a warm-up act?" Freddie questioned her frustratedly. "This will give us a chance to perform and publicize!" He shook his head vigorously, his shoulder-length black hair flopping about. "Just," he muttered as a finale, causing Mary to laugh.

"How about we get out?" Casha suggested awkwardly. She had her arms crossed and she was tapping either arm with her fingers, I knew for a fact she did this when she was ticked off. "I mean, we've been waiting here for three minutes."

Everyone agreed and filed out of the limo. The driver said he'd be back when we gave him a call on his limo-phone-thing. Freddie rushed to the front door of the club and swung the door open, holding it for everyone as they walked past. When we entered the club, it was trashier than what I expected. The fancy aquamarine sign on the outside of the building was much of a coverup for the inside. There was a fight between two buff men in the middle of the nightclub with a drunken crowd cheering them on. To the left of me, there was a puddle of vomit that didn't look like it was to be cleaned up anytime soon.

"Well," sighed Brian in an surprised voice. "This looks..."

"Fun!" Roger said from behind me.

"We should make the most of it," John suggested, "we do have the early meeting with Mott the Hoople tomorrow."