Chapter Eleven

The tour went on. I watched every concert from the front row, nearly crying each time Queen walked onto the stage. It was suddenly the height of the tour, Boston, but I knew what was about to happen. Brian would get sick, and the Mott the Hoople tour would have to go on without their opening act.

It was late that night, the night before the Boston show, and I had found myself walking out onto the balcony of the bar we were at. Casha had basically ditched me for Mary, Veronica, and Chrissie, so I was either left alone or with the members of Queen. The bar was high up on the top floor of the hotel, and it overlooked the entire city. The lights from the towers glistened in the black night, making it all seem beautiful.

I'd brought a Pepsi out with me since I didn't feel like drinking alcohol that night. I sipped it gingerly as I stared into the city.

"Pretty night, isn't it?" Said a familiar voice behind me, startling me.

"Oh geez, Freddie, you scared me," I chuckled as he stood next to me.

Freddie turned to me, his brown eyes fixated on mine. "What are you doing out here?"

"Well, Casha has completely left me and I don't see any sense in being alone," I replied shyly, sipping my pop again.

"Lucky for you, you're not alone anymore."

Freddie was awfully nice. Up on stage, he seemed narcissistic or egotistical, but truly, he was a kind soul. We talked about concerts and music, then about other bands and the competition in the industry. But Freddie suddenly took a hold of my hand, studying the ring on my finger.

"My dear, this is a splendid ring!" He exclaimed, eyeing the jewellery with interest. "What is this... An amethyst?

"Tanzanite," I corrected him.

"Tanzanite," he hummed. "Hm, that must be from Tanzania."

"I suppose so."

"You wanna hear something about me, Hadley?" Freddie asked, receiving a nod from me. Freddie grinned. "I'm from Tanzania. Well, somewhat. I'm from Zanzibar to be precise."

"Really?!" I said, trying to sound surprised, since I already knew that. It wasn't like I stayed up late every night, researching the lead singer of Queen or anything.

"Yes, I look at myself now and can hardly believe it! I've even got an English accent," Freddie chuckled. "Now darling, tell me something about you."

"I'm... Uh, from Canada," I said with an unsure smile.

Freddie huffed. "I already new that, love! Tell me something else about you."

My mind suddenly went blank. What was there to me? Nothing much, I suppose. Everything that I wanted to say sounded ridiculous or lacked meaning, until something that made absolutely zero sense come out of my mouth.

"I played piano for one of your songs in a talent show once."

"Oh?" Freddie said, surprised and intrigued. "Which one?"

I caught myself before I said Bohemian Rhapsody. In 1974, it didn't exist. I quickly thought of a song that contained piano and blurted it out. "Nevermore."

"Oh, my my my!" Freddie exclaimed happily. "Really? You played that?"

"Er, yes," I said with an unsure grin.

Freddie was exuberantly happy. "Darling, that's just fantastic! Oh my, thank you so much!"

I smiled. "I think that song should be more... I don't know... Famous. I think all your songs should be."

"I don't know about that," Freddie said shyly.

I looked right in Freddie's eyes, making sure I could my meaning across. "Freddie, you're an extremely talented musician. Never, and I mean never, never give up writing songs."

It's not like I'd actually have to tell him that.

"I wouldn't dream of it," Freddie grinned.

The night winded down and our conversation ended. Freddie was truly amazing, and even though I wanted to save him from his death, I wondered if it was possible.

* * *

Casha stayed with Veronica, Chrissie, and Mary at the hotel bar. As I was extremely fatigued, I was left alone to return to my hotel room in the darkness of night. Though I had just an interesting conversation with Freddie, I wasn't feeling as happy and upbeat as I should've been feeling. I oddly felt uneasy and fearful, but for reasons I couldn't describe.

I heard footsteps behind me, so I walked faster than I had before. I nearly tripped over my own feet as I was so worried and distracted. I felt the sudden urge to turn around, so I did, but the hallway was completely empty. All there was around was room doors, and nobody could possibly enter their room without noise. I straightened up, nibbling at my bottom lip anxiously. What was going on? I had sworn I heard someone walking behind me.

Maybe I'm just imagining things...

I continued to speed walk, determined to get back to my room quicker. The footsteps started up again, and I didn't dare look back, afraid that I would see a bare hallway again. Something wasn't right, obviously, but I stayed in denial that everything was okay and that the footsteps were only my imagination.

Suddenly, a human-like figure appeared next to me, and out of instinct, I turned my head to face it. But then it was gone. Only a closed hotel room door was next to me.

I swallowed anxiously and began running, knowing my room door wasn't that far away. The fear inside of me was eating away at my courage, and I could barely continue running from whatever it was that was following me. I reached my room and quickly unlocked the door, swinging my body inside and slamming the door behind me. I locked the door again before gradually walking towards my bed.

Safe.

I sat down on the bed slowly, beginning to bite at my nails. I was more afraid than I seemingly ever had been before. It didn't make sense to me — I had just had a very nice conversation with the Freddie Mercury, a conversation that two old friends would have. But now I was shaking out of fear.

I tried to believe that whatever it was that was only something my mind had made up, but I didn't believe myself.

•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•
Wowwowowowoowow this book is garbage. But, I've kinda switched around the plot, so the book will (hopefully?) be more interesting and it will be easier to update :)