Chapter One

My mom and I are from California, Malibu specifically. Right now we were moving to the cold rainy state of Washington. Obviously, I was going to miss all of my old friends and relatives; the salt life and sun. I didn't even want to move in the first place but my mom wanted to start over, she couldn't even bare living in that house for a second longer. I guess all the memories must have overwhelmed her, or something? Mom exited off the highway, "Welcome to Poulsbo." She said.

Don't expect me to like it here, Mom. We drove through downtown. The streets were small and just. There were lined with shops, but mostly vegan restaurants and Starbucks. A hipsters paradise. We drove by a fresh market, which Mom seemed to love. It was a wet and rainy November, and all the leaves on the trees where shades of gold, burgundy, and brown. So when we drove past the park the leaves were like fire, the embers drifting in the wind. But why did mom choose such a small, Viking-like town to live in? And why would she pick the top rainiest state in America? That was just beyond me. Where we were at as of now, you could see mountains in the distance with snow covered caps.
Mom asked if we should go hiking sometime this weekend, it could be fun.  "Uh.... No thanks. I don't hike." I responded quietly, and then went back to my depressed state. "You know, you might like it here. This is where I grew up, you know? I have a couple of friends still here... they might have kids your age." She tried. I only nodded. Okay, first of all, I am not a kid. I am 17 years old. I can drive, I can get a job, I don't play with dollies anymore, and I most definitely do not watch Disney Channel! Why can't adults just get that?

Mom drove out of downtown and through a suburban neighborhood with some colonial styled homes. At first, I thought that we had almost reached our destination, but Mom drove out of there too. She followed the GPS around the Port of Poulsbo. She came up an extremely large hill and turned a corner. I looked at the houses. They were nice looking homes, all of which were Victorian Styled. Mom turned the wheel and pulled up into our driveway. Like I said, all the houses were Victorian... Including ours. It wasn't scary-looking like all the others, it was actually a nice house. It was a fresh baby blue color like it had just been painted a day ago, and the shutters where white. There were woods In the back of the house and the yard was covered in yellow and brown leaves. The bushes needed to be trimmed and there was a swing set on the side of the house. The porch looked freshly painted too, with a bright shade of burgundy. When I looked to my right, I could see tall mountains.
Mom turned off the car. She looked at me. My head was still on the window, I didn't look at her. "Are you ready sweetie?" She asked. Am I ready? Why yes, I am ready to go back home to California, where we belong! I didn't answer her. She reached out her hand and tucked a piece of curly hair behind my ear, then she touched my hand. "I know that you're scared, but don't be. We'll be okay." She coaxed. Scared? I don't think I'm just scared. I'm sad, angry, alone, depressed, and no- not SCARED, I'm terrified! "I want to go home," I whispered. I was expecting her to say, "We're home now," or something, but all she said was, "It doesn't matter where we are. What matters is that we're home as long as we're together." I blinked. What a stupid thing to say. I didn't mean it like that at all, I meant that I want to be with my friends and family and not in a stupid Norwegian styled small town!

Are there even any beaches here? I don't think so! I used to go surfing with my friends every weekend. And what can I do now? Go fishing or go hiking? This sucks! When I say I want to go home I want to go home, not get some, "Home is where the heart is," crap. But I only nodded and pulled on a fake smile, "Yeah." I said. "I love you very much, Alaina. You know that, right?" Mom said. "I know. I Love you too, Mom." I replied. She took off her seat belt and kissed my forehead. I took off my seatbelt too and stepped out the car. Fresh mountain air immediately filled my nose. It was nice and clean and the crisp cool air hit my face. I suddenly missed the heat of the car. Mom went around to the rear of the truck and attached to the car was a U-Haul trailer. I walked up the porch and stood by the door. The door had a screen and it was white to match the shutters. Mom came over and pulled out her keys. She unlocked the door and then opened it. All of her movements were slow.
I walked inside the threshold of my new home. It was a big foyer with hardwood floors. On my right was a traditional dining room and on my left was a staircase leading upstairs. I walked down the hall and into the kitchen. It was painted with colors of yellow and blue and it wasn't modern at all. It was all old, including the tile. I cruised from room to room. I went inside the study (which was old too) and I went upstairs to check out my new bedroom (That was old too). My walls were blue, just like the color of the house, and the floors were hardwood as well (OLD). I'm glad that I had an attached bathroom. I went across the hall to see the master bedroom. It was extremely large, almost too large. Mom had a big bathroom and hardwood floors and she had two closets. TWO! Mom came up behind me, "Do you like the house?" She asked. It's too old. "Yeah. It's great. Vintage...cool." I said awkwardly. She kissed my cheek and hugged me. "I knew you would like it!" She said happily. I patted her back, "Yep. I do..." I said. Mom pulled away. "Okay. We got some work to do, so let's not wait anymore." She said and started heading downstairs. I followed her.