ch.7

SEVEN:

p r e t t y  g a l a x y  n a i l s

________

"How bout' . . . you know what, just flip them up in order. Right to left."

"Whatever you want." Destiny smirks, revealing the first card. Nothing but the color black is on the card.

"You sure this isn't a scam or something?" I sigh.

"The cards do not lie. But do you wish to continue?" Destiny fingers the second card, her left hand tapping the wood. Pretty galaxy nails.

"Got nothing better to do. I'm guessing that it's a dream."

"Right, a dream." A soft chuckle. She flips the second card, Kaye is shown on the card. I straighten up a bit, though not enough for her to notice. Kaye seems like he is battling something, though not visible. Destiny smiles.

She doesn't hesitate to flip the third card. The third card shows a teenage girl, fighting alongside Kaye. Her curly red hair blows behind her as she shoots out a spell, her hazel eyes wide. A squirrel is on her head, holding on to her hat. The girl dresses like a merchant or apprentice. Baggy white shirt with brown suspenders attached to her brown trousers, leather boots, fingerless black gloves, and small pouches attached to her waist.

The next card shows part of a demon or monster. It smiles in the blackness of the night. The demon's teeth are sharp and by the looks of it, a large human with wings? A black angel maybe? Its long hair, matching the color of the night, covers her glowing yellow eyes. The angel smiles, her teeth sharp, almost as sharp as . . . Destiny's.

I stare at her, pale skin glowing. Her mouth is set into a permanent smile. "Shall I go on?"

My head nods without my consent. The fifth card shows Laird fighting along with Kaye and the girl. My eyes must have gone wide because Destiny laughs. "Someone you know?"

I ignore her. Laird was dressed in his usual apparel, the school uniform, subtracting the outer garment. Kaye is like that too. They both hold their usual weapons. My lips purse. How would this play a part in my future? Would I fight with them? Would I sit by and watch?

The final card is flipped and, again, it's another black card. What does it represent? "Another fake?"

"No, you just have to figure out the meanings." Her lips curl upwards, like a mischievous cat.

"I don't see myself in any of the cards."

"The cards will tell parts of your future. Not when, not where, and not your role."

"But . . . ."

"You may try and change your fate, but remember, those who try to avoid their fate usually set the path to their destiny. So no matter what you do, you'll never escape fate. Everything you do will make it worse."

My lips press into a thin line. Destiny scoops the cards and put them into her deck. She adds something else but it is inaudible.

I jolt upwards, still finding me on the outcropping. I look around, still the afternoon though evening has put its makeup on it. Class should have ended. I stand rush to the library, hoping to find Laird. My mind races with possibilities of what the cards meant. How do I fit into the cards?