Part 4

"Simon?" A vaguely familiar voice whispered, causing the brunette to stir in his sleep. He let out a groan, cracking open his eyes. "Are you awake?"

"Oath?" He croaked, turning his head slightly towards where the voice was coming from. "What...What happened?"

Oath was sitting in a chair in the corner of the room Simon was in, his eyes tired and wary. "You were in a crash. You stopped in the middle of the intersection, Simon. Why the Hell would you-" he took a deep breath, trying to calm himself down. "Do you remember why you stopped?"

Simon shook his head. "No...I don't really remember anything..." He let out a shaky breath. "It hurts." He whispered softly.

Oath watched Simon for a long moment, obviously deep in thought. "Yeah? Well, considering the doctors said you have a TBI, a couple fractures, and not to mention the fact that you look like you have fucking spots all over you because of all the bruises..." He shook his head. "I suppose it would hurt."

Simon winced at the harsh tone Oath had used. "Why are you so upset?"

Oath stared down at the floor as he spoke. "Because Simon, I've only really known you for a fucking day and I was so fucking terrified at the thought of losing you when I saw the car flip. We were heading in the same direction on our way home and you have no idea what I went through as I saw that car slam into yours and just..." He trailed off, looking pissed. "I don't understand it. I'm not mad at you because of all this but I'm just so confused. Why should your life matter so much to me? What's wrong with me? I shouldn't feel this attached..."

Simon didn't really know how to respond, so he remained silent instead. Part of him was afraid of what Oath was saying. He didn't want anyone to care for him. He didn't want Oath to worry on his behalf. It was so much easier when nobody seemed to care. Sure, he didn't want to be alone, but when he was suffering from God knows what, he certainly didn't want to burden others. Maybe that was why he pushed people away. Maybe he was afraid of being a bother.

Simon watched Oath, finally deciding to speak. "I think you should just go, then."

Oath looked up, his brown eyes filled with confusion. "What do you mean?"

"Just leave me, Oath. It'll be easier. You'll get over what it is you're feeling and I'm sure you'll be much happier." He gave a small smile, and Oath looked as though he were about to break down.

"Listen to what you're saying, Simon. You want me to leave you alone in this hospital? Who knows how long you'll be here...and I can't help but notice that no one has visited...So are you willing to be alone for weeks on end in this stupid room?"

Simon nodded, and Oath sighed. "Simon...please stop."

"Stop what? You're the one that's complaining..."

"Stop lying to me. I saw those cuts on your wrist."

Simon's eyes widened, and he turned over, his back to Oath.

"They certainly aren't from the crash."

"So what?" Simon snapped, his eyes filling with tears. This stranger was learning way too much about him way too quickly, and he didn't like it at all. "What's your point?"

"Those aren't exactly a sign that you're happy with how your life is going."

"Just leave it alone," Simon grumbled, letting out a shaky breath. "I mean it, Oath. Let it go. Let everything go. I don't like you, and I won't ever. I don't want your help, and I certainly don't want your fucking concern. Or pity. I don't want anything from you. So please, just stop, and go."