Chapter 35

Ryan kept stealing glances of Dove who looked out of the window stubbornly. She crossed her arms over her chest as her blonde locks worked like a curtain, hiding her face further. Ryan felt his rage getting to a new level at the realization that Dove was hiding her emotions from him. He sat with his jaw clenched and a vein popping out of his neck while his knuckles turned white from the deadly grip on the steering wheel of the car. He once again looked at Dove who sat with stiffened shoulders. He sighed and for the time being decided to keep his anger at the bay. He knew the moment was vulnerable and he did not want his rage to ruin their relationship. He wanted Dove to seek peace in him, to keep her head on his shoulder and show some emotions even if it was anger or sadness. At least something was better than nothing.

Ryan kept his hand on Dove's thigh who felt her body relaxing at his gentle touch. The turmoil of emotions that was driving her insane was replaced by sparks flying in her veins. As much as she wanted to lean into his touch she was afraid to break down in front of him. So she kept her gaze out of the window at the scenery that was passing like a blur. Ryan felt a little satisfaction controlling his anger slightly as Dove did not flinch from his touch or remove his hand. He started caressing her jean cladded thigh.

"We are here, my Angel." Ryan said, getting a curt nod from Dove. She was about to get out of the car when Ryan held her left hand, hoping to get some reaction from her. He sighed as her right hand stopped midway from opening the door but she refused to turn around and look at Ryan.

"Let me do that for you baby." With that Ryan went to Dove's side and opened the door. He hoped to see her eyes but to his despair she wore her black shades, shielding her eyes. Her face was set into a grim line, not giving away any emotion. Ryan extended his hand, dreading that Dove would refuse his help. He smiled slightly when she kept her hand in his and got out of the car. Dove did not interlock her fingers with his which made his heart ache in the worst ways possible. She kept staring ahead as they went into the cemetery.

The leaves crunched softly under their weight. The gust of cool breeze made Dove shiver slightly so Ryan took off his jacket.

"Wear this my Angel."

Dove shook her head. Ryan sighed heavily and raked a hand through his hair. He stood in front of her, not letting her move further. Without any other word he took hold of Dove's arm and made her wear his jacket. Her protests died down in her throat as Ryan shot a firm glare to her. After that Ryan pulled Dove to his chest, giving her more warmth.

After taking a few more steps Dove whispered hoarsely. "You will catch cold Ryan."

Dove was about to take off the jacket but Ryan shook his head with a smile. He was happy to know that she cared for him. He pulled her further into his chest and kissed her hair.

"I am now fine baby." He felt her nodding her head hesitantly against his chest. He kissed her hair once more.

"There is the grave baby." Ryan said gently whilst stroking Dove's hand. She went towards the grave which was near a tree. She felt her heart breaking into millions of pieces as she read the inscription on the tombstone, only confirming her mother's death, making it all more real. The inscription was in black bold letters.

Gracie Lily McKenzie

July 10,1962-March 21, 2014

A loving daughter

A wonderful wife and the best mother.

Love you always.

Miss you.

Dove softly placed her hand on the inscription, letting her fingers roam around while Ryan watched her intensely. She sat on the muddy ground and placed a kiss on her mother's name. Ryan sat next to her and held her hand, not getting any reaction from her. She neither intertwined her fingers nor she pushed him away. She just sat there silently, looking at Gracie's grave. She did not take off her black shades which kept her green eyes hidden from him. Ryan frowned as he had never seen Dove so detached from her emotions. She was always like an open book with her emotions on display to be read easily. Her eyes used to outshine like words of a book that told a story but now she refused to let anyone read her. It was as if she had closed her covers so that no one could know what the story was in the book. Ryan wanted to read her again and now only he realized that Dove might have been through the pain of rejection when he had given her a cold shoulder or whenever his façade had masked his emotions. He tightened his hold on Dove's waist now, afraid that she would disappear into the thin air, taking away the only source of light in his life.