Chapter 1

"The first Queen, Thorn, was running with her future people, screaming, away from the fire. But there was too much, and only a few of them made it to the Underground. Thorn and a few hundred had to wait, while the burned or burning were calling for help. The fire was just too big and too fast to try and put it out. That's when the survivors had to make the decision of how they were going to live from then on. No fire, under any circumstances. Never leave the underground. They decided to go into an monarchy, with a Queen in charge. Our family was the first to find and settle on this island, so our family became royalty. After that, they calmed down and settled in the Underground. They repopulated and became the strong underground country that we are now." My grandma, the former Queen said. She was once again telling me the story of our country.

"Grandma, how come the other countries didn't help?" My younger sister asked. Ember had the customary red hair and brown eyes of our country. She was 8, half my age.

"They didn't help because they didn't know. Blaze is a secret country. No one knows about us, because almost nobody comes to the Bermuda Triangle."

"I read stories that say the Bermuda Triangle is bad and people disappear there." Ember told us.

"A lot of those stories were made up by us, to keep others away."

"How long have people lived on Blaze?" I asked, even though I knew.

"Since before Christopher Columbus discovered America. Probably two hundred years before then." Our former Queen answered.

"Were you alive then?" asked Ember.

"And that's where we stop the story tonight." She said, kissing our foreheads, and sending us to bed.

"Do you ever wish we could go Aboveground?" I asked my sister as we walked to our rooms.

She shuddered. "No! Grandma told us that there are monsters and stuff that will hurt us up there!"

"I guess," I responded," but sometimes I feel like not everything about the Aboveground is as true as everyone says."

"Whatever. Good night." She went into her room and closed the door.

I thought about the stories that the Elders told us, the stories Grandma told us, and the ones my father told me. The stories were all different.

I didn't think that the Aboveground was as bad as everyone says and tomorrow, I was going to prove it.