Chapter 24

I don't move when a car pulls up in front of the house. Why would I? Without Jack or Daniel, I have no idea if I would even be allowed to enter. Part of me also can't dare to leave them-even if Chris offered to 'own' me.

Another part of me through-the part currently roaring in my head and throwing an unladylike tantrum- can't face the fact I will unlikely see Kenan again if I stay.

My feels are in utter disarray, unable to balance the pros and cons with efficient results. Each choice causes a pain either way. A deep, unchangeable pain. It's in my bones, flowing through my veins like sharp knives in white water rapids.

The car idles in front for a minute, headlight cutting beams of white light through the darkness. Eventually the driver's door opens, the man apparently sick of waiting-or thinking we need encouragement.

The man raps on the door, but I still don't move. The lights in the house dim considerably until the room is almost dark.

Leaning against the window, I'm actually scared to move. One single twitch and I fear I'll tear out of the house and leave my family to be killed. It scares me more than it should because everyone wants to have control over how they act, but right now I don't trust me. A single flinch may ruin everything.

"Kaz," Jack calls. "Get the door-it's probably the car."

The man raps again. Awkwardly he glances back at the car, the mysterious object I've only seen from afar. What would it feel like to ride in it? Is there seats, or do we lay down. He seems eager to get back. He probably thinks he's got the wrong place.

"Kaz," my father figure barks again, this time exiting his room. "Get the door."

Somehow my eyes close but I don't erupt into the frenzy my dragon begs for.

Instead of commanding me to get the door again, he wonders over quietly and touches my face gently. His thumb soothes over my cheek. When he pulls back his thumb's wet and a little blue light shimmers in the tear before vanishing. "Don't cry, Kaz," Jack whispers weakly. He cups both of my cheeks, trying to sooth me.

I don't feel like crying-I just want to close my eyes and sleep. It's my dragon which is ripping me apart inside to move. If this keeps up, I know why others go crazy. All she wants is blood. Destruction. She's even willing to kill me. I don't want to cry-I hadn't even realized I was- but the pain is enough to trigger the tears I guess. Ever so slightly I glance down. My skin looks like a storm, going dull and dark, before suddenly lighting up with flashings of light that streaks over my body.

"Please don't cry, darling," Jack whispers again, hands releasing my face to cup my hands.

"Let's just go," Daniel grumbles.

My eyes flick to him, unsure what he said for a moment. "No."

"You wanted to go!" Daniel growls. Across his back is his bag, stuffed with what I'm guessing is clothes.

"And you don't want to," I growl back, but my voice just sounds pathetic. I turn away, glaring into the kitchen.

"Well I'm agreeing to go!"

Stubbornly I shake my head. "Forget it."

"Your are so-" Dan starts, but cuts off and matches towards me. He snatches my wrist roughly and jerks me towards the door. "You made such a freaking fuss, and now are just going to back out? No way. You wanna die in some stupid fight, well go ahead. It's fine by us! It's not like we care!" He throws the door open-startling the man who'd been heading back to his car. "Here you go Kaz, this is what you wanted!"

I dig my feet into the ground hard, refusing to move. Jack follows us, but doesn't argue.

"You are Kaz? The Dragon blood?" the man asks politely.