When Stefan and Elena are badass and Damon and Katherine are not

Prologue 

It was an extraordinary day when I first saw him. I thought I could get over him, but I cannot. His scent, his eyes that burn as we speak, and his voice - I totally cannot get over with these things. The downfall is that I was not able to get his name at our first meeting and I needed to gather all the sources of information I have just to know his name. Luckily, one guy at his mid-forties told me that his name was 'Stefan.' 

I was walking past the shops of our infamous town called Mystic Falls when I caught a glimpse of him while he was looking at a shop that sold guns and weapons. I inched my way towards the shop and I opted to stay near the bakery where it was near the shop he was looking at. He was so absorbed in looking at the weapons that he did not notice me as I walked towards him. I tried to start a conversation just to get his name. But, all I could do was to stare at him. I stayed beside him for a few minutes as I tried to look at the weapons he was looking at when he turned towards me and started to stare at me. My jaw dropped and my skin had goosebumps when he looked at me with his dark eyes like it was meant to consume my energy. 

Then, he smiled and said "Fancy to meet you." 

I was not able to respond. It was unexpected, to think that I just stayed beside him and suddenly, he talked to me. I did not know what to say. After a few seconds, he was gone like the wind while I just stayed dumbfounded in front of the shop. 

His words sing to me like a lullaby. "Stefan...." I hear myself calling him day after day. He usually gets into my dreams. But, every time that I dream of him, all I can do is just stare at him. In my dreams, we barely talk and he is always out of reach. He is like a balloon in the sky and I am on the ground looking at it - waiting for it to pop and fall beside me. 

It has been seventy years since I felt this. And this feeling - It just would not stop. It was just recently when I turned back on my emotions, so, I did not expect myself falling for a human. And, worst, he is the most beautiful human I have ever seen in my entire existence. But, there is this one thing that really draws me back to him - His blood.

Chapter 1 - Brothers in Crime

I went back home as soon as I have seen the weapons I wanted to buy for my collection. As I entered the house, I have seen my brother, Damon - the ever sarcastic and charming brother I ever have. He is older than me for three years, but sometimes I feel like I am older than him since he would always say that I am the boring type of guy.

"Hello brother." Damon made his way towards me and offered me some wine. I think he is drunk. "Where have you been?" He asked.

"No, thank you. I do not want to be drunk at this time. Look brother, it is just 3 in the afternoon. And here you are getting drunk like there is no tomorrow." I said while I stole his glass from his right hand.

"Oh no you do not take that away from me young bastard." I lifted my hands up in the air so that he would not get his glass. I hate it when he is so drunk that he would not stop drinking unless I stopped him. He looked at me skeptically and tried to reach out for my hands. He was smaller than I am - for about two inches, I think.

We were chasing each other like kids and I know how smart he could get if he wanted something, so I started running towards the stairs and made it to my room while saying, "Come on and get this brother." I laughed. I love it when he is so annoyed. 

Before I even closed my door, I looked at him. He did not try to go up the stairs. Instead, he sat down and put his hands on his face like he was about to cry. I went downstairs so I could take a look.

"We broke up." Damon said those words without even looking at me. I sat down beside him on the floor.

"Hey, we could talk about this if you wanted to." He started to wipe his face with his hands and looked at me.

"Don't you think I'm a little bit pathetic, brother? You see I just wanted to make her happy, so I--" He sobbed. He could not finish his sentence, so I hugged him to comfort him. 

"What happened? And, who is that girl?" I asked as I let go of him and put some distance around us.

"Katherine." He said it like he never let out his breath.

"Katherine? Is she beautiful? Worth the catch?" I asked trying to make fun of him. But, his face got so serious that I straighten up my face. 

After a few minutes, there was just dead air. He did not respond to what I said, then, he started to get up.

"I'm going out, Stefan. Will you come with me?" 

"Where are we going? I asked. He stood up and fixed himself. I looked at him curiously and waited for his answer.

"To have my sweet revenge."