Chapter 7

"So where do we begin?" James asked.

I shrugged and looked around the library. "I think I might have an idea. Just follow my lead."

James looked confused, but nodded and followed me to the reception. I- we, were in luck, as I knew the receptionist from previous visits here.

"Hi Alison. How can I help you?"

"Hello Sandra. I'm working on a research task for- textiles. I need to write a short summary on the fashion of a different time period. I need some help with deciding from which time period this clothes are from." I continued on to describe Sapphire and Finch's clothes.

"Well," Sandra said, "they do sound like Victorian fashion."

"Of course! Thank you so much."

I led James over to the history section. I took my phone out and quickly googled Victorian clothes.

"The designs look very similar!" I said, "Sapphire and Finch are most definitely Victorian."

"Great! Now We have to figure out what exact years they lived through. Obviously they were local right? So let's look for them on the records."

"Is not that simple though."

"Why not? Sapphire was probably upper class, so she or her family must have been famous."

"But I get the feeling that Sapphire was not her real name."

James looked at me in confusion.

"She said to Finch that the name Sapphire would take some getting used to. He also complemented her Sapphire eyes. This all makes me believe that Sapphire was just a nickname."

"You've got a point there," James said, "but how can we find out her real name?"

I thought for a minute. "James," I began cautiously, "there's only one way."

"Which way?"

"Think about it. What happens before I get a- a vision?"

"Ali, no," James said through gritted teeth.

"I sing that song or be next to that tree. To get a real, important vision, I must start singing in front of the tree."

"Ali, are you mad?" James said, forgetting we were in a library.

Tears prickled my eyes. "I knew it. You do think I'm mad!" I said in a harsh, hurt whisper.

He blinked. "Ali no! I think you are mad for wanting to go back there! You couldn't see what was happening to you last time, but I could. You were in such a bad state that I was afraid you were- slipping away from me."

"No James. You were afraid for yourself. Leave me alone and walk away while you still can."

I turned around and ran out the library. The only place I could head to now was the tree.

"Ali!" James shouted, running after me.

I kept running. Thank goodness nobody was around.

"Ali! ALI!"

I willed myself to not stop. Yet I found myself slowing down. Then, suddenly, I was enveloped into a hug.

"Ali," James said, staring down at me, "don't ever run away from me again." His eyes were filled with something I couldn't identify. Rage? No, not exactly that.

"James, I meant that. Walk away while you still can."

"No, Ali, I'm not walking away. I flipped out in the library cause I was worried about you. Please, if you won't change your mind about returning to the tree, then at least let me come with you, to try to protect you."

I stared into his eyes. Why did he care this much about my safety. He gave me a small smile and hugged me even tighter.

Without another word, we set off in the direction of the meadow.