Chapter 2

"Real nice move, Lieutenant Smooth. Now he'll probably never speak to me," Zoe complained, ascending the stairs. As soon as I had come in the house, I spoke to Zoe. After that, I grabbed a snack out of the fridge and returned to my room. I saw Zoe and Shane through my open doorway.

     "Then I did you a favour," Shane shot back, stopping suddenly as Zoe turned around and held her hand to his chest.

     "Whoa. Personal bubble invasion," Zoe said.

     "Your mother was worried sick about you. You should call her and tell her the truth," Shane told her. Zoe sent him a sarcastic smile.

     "Well I'm sure you'll take care of that for me. Stay out of my life!" she yelled at him.

     Standing up from my bed, I leaned on the doorframe and watched the scene unfold from up close. Zoe tried to kick Shane, but he just grabbed her ankle, twisting it so that she was facing the other way. He made her hop all the way to her room. I held in a laugh as she complained about having plans. There was no way that she was getting past him. As far as I was concerned, she deserved it anyway. She had acted like a brat tonight, and she tried to sneak her boyfriend into her room.

     Shane slammed her door, then turned to Seth, who had just came out of his room.

     "You too. Lights out," the Lieutenant commanded. He way pointed the purple troll at my brother, so it took away from his threatening appearance.

     "Bite me," Seth shot back, closing his door.

     I stepped out into the hall, making Shane's eyes shoot towards me. He was agitated, and although we were on the same side, he looked ready to yell at me too. Before he could, I spoke first

     "Sorry about them," I apologised. He closed his mouth, allowing me speak, "Since Dad was always away for his job, we've always been able to do what we wanted. Mom isn't too good at telling us no, so I guess we're a bit spoiled."

     "You aren't," he told me, making me smile. I was glad that he didn't think I was.

     "I'm the oldest," I said, shrugging my shoulders, "I had to be the example, so I wanted to be a good one. Besides, I'm twenty-two years old; I've grown out of hissy fits," I joked. Although it was meant to be funny, he didn't laugh. Awkwardly clearing my throat, I spoke again, "Do you need any help? You know, setting stuff up or anything?"

     He smiled slightly, shaking his head. It was the first time he hadn't had that blank look. "No. You should get some sleep," he suggested. Yawning, I realised just how tired I was.

     "Sounds like a great idea," I agreed, "Goodnight Shane." I turned and began to retreat into my room, but paused to see if he was going to say anything.

     For a moment, I thought that he wouldn't reply, but eventually he did. "Goodnight Mae."

     The next morning, I awoke to a whistle. As it was blown again and again, it seemed to be getting closer. Soon, it was right in the doorway.

     "What's going on? Is everyone okay?" I asked groggily, rubbing my eyes. Finally able to see out of my tired eyes, I looked to where the noise was coming from. It was Shane.

     "Everyone is fine. It's time to get up," he told me. His stern, deep voice was a great contrast to my soft tone. I yawned quietly.

     "Okay," I replied simply, sitting up in bed. My hair was probably a mess, but I wasn't too concerned. As I stood up, I groaned and sat back down quickly.