Chapter 6- It's Still a Long Road from Here

Selena's POV

When I woke up in the morning, I was the only one in the bedroom. I looked at my phone and realized that it was only 5 in the morning so I knew nobody else was up and getting ready.

I walked from the bedroom and that's when I heard it. I heard music softly coming from the room just down the hall. I knew Demi was there and that she was writing. I softly walked down and opened the door. Stepping inside and softly closing the door, I watched as Demi sat at the piano with a pad next to her on the bench with a guitar prepped up against it.

Demi's fingers softly pressed the keys down and when she liked something that she played she would write it down. I watched against the door with a smile on my face.

"You know that you and Dani look so alike when you are both writing," I said.

This caused Demi to jump and turn around to face me with a panicked look on her face.

"Damn you Selena. You scared the shit out of me," Demi said.

"Sorry."

"Don't be sorry Sel."

Several moments of silence passed between us.

"I take it that you couldn't sleep either Sel?"

"Hell no. I just keep replaying the conversation in my head that Dani and I had."

Demi gave me a look filled with sympathy. Before she asked if I wanted to talk about it, I shook my head no and she gave me a look that told me that we would talk about it later. I know I wouldn't get out of it so I just nodded my head.

"Do we really look alike when we write?" Demi asked.

"Yeah, but she normally starts by playing around on the guitar until she plays something she likes. Then she'll write it down before she plays it on the piano to find a matching tone and finally the lyrics come. You start on the piano and then write some lyrics before you even think about pulling out the guitar. But you guys look the same when doing it. You both work hard to write so many great songs."

"Out of all the songs we've written together, I never realized that we are so alike. Thanks for that Selena."

"What are you writing?"

"I'm trying to write for my fifth album. I gotta start sometime and there's no better time than now. I mean it's going to take me close to two years to write and record the album."

"Nice. What do you have so far?"

"Well before Dani was attacked, we wrote this song called 'Confident' but we never finished it so I want to finish."

"Can I see it?"

Demi nodded her head and I came closer to the piano. I took a look at the lyrics and then picked up the guitar before I played some notes that Demi had already written down.

"Here, right after this verse, sing: 'So you say I'm complicated but you've had me underrated' and then repeat the verse right before it." I said while pointing at the lyrics.

"That actually sounds like a good idea, like it ties together the ending of the song."

She quickly wrote down my suggestion before turning back to me. I was running my hands up and down the neck of the guitar. Picking at the strings, hoping to avoid the conversation that was about to happen.

"Selena, you have to tell me why you couldn't sleep."

"It's nothing. My brain just kept replaying what Dani confessed to me last night. She didn't remember us as a couple. She confessed that she really likes me. It made my heart sink and I feel so lost."