Chapter 13

Chapter 13 – A Few Days In The Country                

Friday

Suddenly I found myself looking forward to this trip. And yes! It all had to do with Cheryl. I can’t believe this is actually happening. I never thought I could talk daddy into this.

I rang the servant bell. My suitcase needed to be moved downstairs. After a small moment I heard a knock on the door.

“You rang Miss?”

“Yes James. Could you please take my suitcase downstairs? The car will be arriving soon.”

“Of course Miss.”

He took hold of my suitcase and made way to the door.

“Oh and James. I’ve decided to take Cheryl with me this weekend. Lord knows I need all the distraction I can get if I have to be with Mr. Christian for three days. My father gave his permission. Can you please let the rest of the staff know that she will not be here until Monday afternoon. You will have to divide her duties amongst yourselves. If you have done that could you go to her room and help her with her suitcase?”

“Of course Miss.”

“Thank you James.” I said and gave him a smile.

“Miss, your grandmother requested you to see her before you left.”

“Very well James.”

I walked towards the door and held it open for him, making it easier for him to carry my suitcase out.

“Thank you Miss.”

I nodded and made my way to my grandmother. It turned out she was sitting in the garden.

“You wanted to see me grandmother?”

She looked at me and spoke up.

“Sit down child.” She looked at me and continued. “It seems to me that you and Cheryl are becoming friends..”

I looked at her but remained quiet.

“She seems fond of you, and you.. you of her.” After a short pause she continued. “I want you to think really hard and carefully of what you want. I’ve seen the way you look at her when you think no one is watching. I have never seen you this taken with anybody before. But please sweetheart, think before your act.”

I smiled at her, kind of embarrassed that she had seen through me so easily.

“I will grandmother.” I said as I stood up and moved in for a hug and a kiss.

“I love you sweetheart” She said with a smile. 

“I love you too.”

I helped her up from her chair and together we made way to the hall. The servants, my father and Cheryl stood there waiting for me. Cheryl now dressed in a dress instead of her maids uniform. I had to say, this suited her much better. I moved my grandmother to my father, placing her in his care. I went to Cheryl and said; “Did you pack everything you need for this weekend?” “I did Miss.”

The car had arrived and James loaded the baggage into it.

“Miss? Your car is waiting.”

“Thank you James.”

I walked over to my father and grandmother and gave them both a hug.

“Have fun my dear.” My father said as I pulled out of the hug.

“I’ll try my best father.” I gave him a kiss on his cheek and turned around.

“Well Cheryl, let’s go.”