Prologue

"Daddy, where are we going?" Kaden's little voice squeaked, as he clutched his father's hand. Michael James looked down at his six-year-old son, giving him a sad and tired smile. He never wanted his son to be here for this, but since his disaster of a wife was too busy cheating on him somewhere, he had no choice but to bring his prized possession with him. 

             As they entered the elevator of the tall apartment building they lived in, Kaden stared up at his father with puppy-dog eyes. "Daddy, may I push the button?" He had said in the tiniest voice. Michael stared down at his son, and gave another tired smile, "Sure, kiddo. Press the highest number you can find." 

             Kaden giggled as he jumped up and pressed the button to the roof, oblivious to his father's fatal thoughts. Once they reached the small floor just above the roof, Michael picked up his son in his arms and walked up the short flight of stairs that led to the doorway to the rooftop of the extremely ginormous building. Once Michael stepped out into the cold, autumn air, he quickly placed Kaden down up against the wall beside the doorway passage. 

 Kaden watched with curious eyes as his father gave him his small, stuffed teddy bear. Kaden being so young, didn't notice the note that was taped onto it. Kaden pulled his knees up to his chest as he shivered from the cold cement and air. He watched as his father quickly scribbled down something on a small piece of paper, and then pinned it onto Kaden's shirt. 

 Smiling sadly, Michael whispered loud enough for Kaden to hear as he crouched down in front of him, "I want you to stay put, and whatever you do...don't follow me. Do you understand?" 

             Biting his lip, Kaden nodded, "Yes, Daddy." 

             A small tear escaped Michael's eye, "Thatta boy..." he smiled sadly, "Take care of Mommy for me, okay?" 

 "Okay...but why–"

 "No buts, mister." Michael said, pressing a gentle, yet hard, kiss to Kaden's forehead. Seconds later, Kaden watched as his father pulled away from him, walking closer and closer to the edge of the building. Kaden just watched, wide-eyed. He couldn't understand what his father was doing, but he did as he was told and stayed put. 

 Once Michael reached the edge, he turned to face his son one last time.             With a sad and tired smile, he threw himself off the edge as Kaden started to scream and cry at the top of his lungs. 

Falling,

Falling,

Falling.

Save me.