o n e

Hope Moore
Saturday, October 15

My eyes glisten in the mere sunlight, glancing at our interlocked hands every few seconds.

"I don't know how we got to this way, " I think. We were a runaway couple, with no rights at all.

He coughs and I immediately glance in his way, "What's wrong?" My eyes plead for an answer.

All I get is a slight shake of his head- that's what I always get-, him re-interlocking our hands.

Sweat beads off my forehead, my heart aches, my eyes itch, and all I ever think is pain.

I take my hand out of his, and get up. Looking at the dark, clear sky. I know I am here for a reason.

His exact words were, "It's fake, " and, "you and him are not a couple, got it? ". And let me tell you, I got it.

I don't dare to speak- or think- his name. It hurts to know he'd do that to me, all that agony.

"Jack, please answer me," I say. I put my forefinger and thumb on his chin and turn it slightly. "Please. "

He turns away, "Hope I told you, I will never look your way again. " His tone sounded sour.

Tears threatening to pour, I walk away to the snowy tree that we had our first kiss in.

You may think a first kiss is an amazing memory, but to us it's a nightmare.

It reminds me of the grim tales, because we're a severe sighting and we're dead.

That's all I ever was to him. I wanted to love him, but it was the guy I talked about earlier's choice, not mine.

Women have always been treated like no good human beings, but I have always been there for Jack.

It's a sad sighting to know that I get sour treatment from him and his friend.

I was set up and didn't realize it until I ran away from the old life I had accustomed to.

Well, that life is dead and gone, and that's never going to comeback. I remember the last day there.

I look up at the city lights, speaking up in a louder voice, tightening my coat.

"This is where our memories are held", I began, "the city lights hold them tightly."

And that's the last thing I said that day, before walking back to Jack and snuggling into his jacket.

Of course as you might have guessed already, without affection at all. That's all it'll ever be.

carolina