Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Eden POV

“Yeah, bye Mom, love you too!”

I stepped out of the car and walked into my own personal six hour a day prison. I let my MP3 player blare loud hateful music into my eardrums while I made the short trip into the cafeteria. The second I stepped foot into the large room my best friend Cora ran over and hugged me tightly.

“I had the best weekend ever!” She giggled as she set me down.

“Oh cool, was it awesome?” I asked and stuck on a fake smile that I knew she wouldn’t pick up on while stuck in her haze of remembering her weekend wit

“Yeah! It happened.” She replied and somehow smiled wider.

It?”

At my quizzical look she rolled her eyes and sighed like I was the stupidest person aliv

“Whataya think? Sex happened, stupid.” She said and looked at me for a reaction. A hundred million different emotions swept through me at that moment. “Also he asked me to marry him!” Another hundred million emotions swept through me, leaving me light headed and breathless. And not in the good way.

“I’m assuming you said yes.”

“Yes! I’m so excited! You don’t look excited, why aren’t you excited?” She asked and stared at me. I plastered on a smile so bright that even a blind man could see and appreciate.

“I am excited; it’s hard to be as perky as you at seven thirty in the morning.” I replied and hugged her appropriately.

“Whatever, I know when you’re lying to me.” She sighed.

“I’m sorry for being tired at seven thirty Cora, I’m not a morning person you know that.” I replied anxiously.

“I know, but usually you’re more animated than this.” She said kind of angrily like I’d ruined her mood.

“Like I said, not a morning person.” I replied. “I’m sorry if I ruined your mood. Couldn’t sleep.”

“Its okay, can you tell me about it?”

“Not really, Mom and Fred fighting again you know?” I sighed.

“Yeah I get that.” The bell suddenly rang. I had two minutes to get to class.

“Shit we gotta run.”

We grabbed all our stuff and hurried out of the cafeteria. Then Bridget, Cora’s new ‘best friend’ showed up. Both of them were bi so I guess that was the appeal of talking to her more than talking to me. But I was the better friend, I knew that. I’d say something if I wasn’t so afraid of losing my truest best friend.

“Hey sunshine.” Cora smiled and hugged Bridget tightly and spun her around. I just stared at anyone but the two of them, feeling the green monster inside me gnash its ugly teeth and growl a little bit.

The two of them giggled and dished about Cora’s ‘wonderful’ weekend. I plugged my headphones back into my ears and turned the volume all the way up as we all walked to our Bridget’s locker. As Cora and Bridget embraced for the second time in less than five minutes as Bridget stopped at her destination.

We didn’t wait, because she had her class right down the hall and we needed to hurry. As we got close to Cora’s, Cora hugged me tightly then looked at someone behind me and said something that of course I didn’t hear because of the loud music. I pulled my left head phone out.

“What?” I asked.

“Never mind.” She giggled. “See you at the locker.”

She smiled again then turned and waltzed to her class. I ran up the stairs and turned the corner too quickly, for I ran into the one, the only, Riker Owens. Both of us dropped our stuff and I squeaked.

“Sorry, you okay?” He asked as he helped me gather my things.

“Oh yeah, definitely.” I replied and blushed heavily as he picked up his bag and handed me my hopeless mess of a binder. “Sorry that my binder is so heavy. I’m the most disorganized girl you’ll ever meet.” He chuckled; he had the most amazing laugh…

“It’s all good, I’m the same way. I don’t even have a binder.” When he smiled at me like that his eyes sparkled. I blushed again under his gaze.

“Oh, well that sucks.” I internally berated myself for that.

“Yeah kinda, hey we should get to class. If I’m late again I play tomorrow.” His smile grew a little bit.

“Oh yeah, you're pretty important to the entire team right?” As if I didn’t already know.

Riker had a twin brother, and they were polar opposites. Ryder had long curly black hair and pretty chocolate brown eyes while Riker had cropped black hair and though their eyes were the same color they didn’t hold the same smile Ryder’s did. Riker’s were more… intense.

Riker was also the athlete of the family, Ryder just wrote poetry. But both of them were the school heartthrobs and I still couldn’t get over the fact that freaking Ryder Owens was taking time to talk to lowly little old me.

“Hah, yeah.” He chuckled and ran a hand through his short onyx tresses.

“I guess I’ll talk to you later.” He grinned again and walked into his class just as the bell rang, making me the tardy one.

Damn him.