Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Eden POV

I climbed the play scape and sat where the giant curvy teal slide began. Riker sat with me, our knees touched and if it weren’t for the denim barrier between them I’m sure we’d both feel the electricity that was coursing through my veins just being this close to him.

“Do you like me? Or is Ryder the one you’re really after?” It was a question that he seemed to ask a lot by the look on his face. At my quizzical expression he shook his head. “You’re really obvious. When I bumped into you, I saw how you looked at me.”

“And how did I look?”

“If you answer my question I’ll answer yours.”

“Fine, I like you both.” I replied and kept my gaze on him. “But until today I didn’t think you had a side like this, and I love that.” His deep chocolate eyes met mine; they had an intensity about them.

“I don’t like showing it, especially at school or at home. It makes me feel-“

“Vulnerable, anxious.” I interjected, he laid a large tan hand on my knee.

“Yeah.” He replied.

I took his hand in both of mine as I caught the light of a familiar looking car. My heart thudded painfully in my chest and the monster within me stirred. I knew that car. Damn them for coming here, and now of all times! Everything between Riker and I was about to self destruct, and it hadn’t even started yet.

“Do you wanna see what makes me vulnerable?” I whispered as I watched Cora jump out of her boyfriend/fiancé/whatever Kade’s car. Kade followed a second or two later. Riker looked in that direction and nodded. Cora’s eyes were scanning the playground until she found us.

“Edennn! Who’s that?!” She shouted. Riker rolled his eyes.

“Hey, you look cold.” He pulled his letterman jacket off and handed it to me. I stared; I didn’t think something like this would ever happen to me. “Just put it on okay?” I pulled the jacket on and I secretly took in his scent that was enveloping me.

“Eden! Pleeeease come down from there! I have to tell you something!” Cora called again.

“Eden!” Kade shouted. I sighed.

“Do you want to meet Bob?” I asked. Riker looked a little perplexed. “I’ll show you on the second date, if there is one.” I leaned forward and kissed his cheek then slid down the slide.

“Oh there’ll be one, I like you a lot.”

Wait, did I really just hear what I think I did? Holy eff, I did.

As soon as my feet touched gravel, I heard Riker slide down. Cora ran towards us, dragging Kade behind her. As soon as she saw Riker she looked him up and down, then me and walked the rest of the way.

She hugged me quickly then stepped back by Kade again. “What’s he doing here?” She asked.

The guys were measuring each other up. You could feel the testosterone in the air as Kade unwound an arm from around Cora’s waist and gave me a huge one armed hug. I knew what he was trying to do, and I pushed him away.

“We’re kinda sorta maybe, um..-“

“On a date, hence the reason she’s wearing my jacket.” Riker replied a bit icily.

“Who asked who?” Cora squealed. How oblivious was this girl?

“He asked me, it’s going really well.” I smiled.