Chapter Three

"Wait...what?!" I couldn't believe this. I didn't think Rick was that kind of person. He and I never did anything like that, and he never pressured me to, either. Yeah, we made out and stuff, but we never went beyond that, and now he tells me that Ashley's possibly pregnant? "Why are you telling your ex-girlfriend, that you got your new girlfriend all knocked up, Rick?"

"Well, I didn't have anyone else that I thought I could tell. I can't tell my parents, and I definitely can't tell Ashley's parents. If I told my friend's they would just blab it to everyone else. So the only other person that I knew I could trust was...well, was you." Rick said it my pitch dark bedroom sounding truly sincere, as far as I could tell.

"Rick, I feel honored that you would trust me enough to tell me this, but what do you want me to say exactly?" I asked attentively.

"I don't know. I guess I just needed someone to confide in. I don't know how this happened." He said, voice breaking and he crouched down to sit on my carpeted floor.

"Well, I guess you needed to pay more attention in Health class. Mrs. Rayburn would be so disappointed in you." I said, trying to cheer him up a bit with some honest humor. "Hey, you should be happy...You're maybe going to be a father. You're going to be a great one at that, well, if she is pregnant." I said sitting down next to him on the floor.

"You really think so, Jules?" He asked quietly.

"Of course, Rick. Just don't let the kid play Call of Duty." I said, playfully shoving his shoulder.

"Thanks, Jules." He said, smiling at me before glancing down at my lips and looking back into my eyes. He slowly began leaning in, but before he could do anything else, I shove him away and glared at him.

"What do think you're doing, baby daddy?" I said, looking at him, disgusted.

"What do you mean? I was just going to give you a kiss." He said confused.

"A kiss on the cheek would have been just fine if it were friendly. Were you trying to start eating my face or something?" I asked, almost feeling like I had committed a drastic crime against humanity.

"Um, I have a pregnant girlfriend. I think that a friendly little peck is going to suffice." He said, rolling his eyes.

"Well, you're an eighteen year old guy so I really don't know what you might do." I said not really thinking clearly.

"Jules! A friendly-ex-boyfriend-who's-still-your-friend kiss...on the cheek." He said making the last part clear.

"Yeah, I guess that's okay, then." I said, turning my face so that he could access my cheek. His familiar soft lips touched my cheek and I remembered why I liked him in the first place. And then I started thinking about Ean. I abruptly stood up and started smiling like an insane person. I grabbed Kramer off of my bed, smashing my face into his stomach as I let out a happy squeal.

This is so embarrassing! I'm turning into one of those girls in front of my ex. Why am I so lame?

"Juliet...what's happening here? Are you okay?" Rick asked, rubbing soothing circles on the top of my spine.

"Nothing, Rick. I just had a really good day today-or yesterday I guess." I said, leaving out the major details as to why I had such a great day.

"Um...okay..." He said still rubbing my back. "Care to be a little specific?"

"Nothing. It's just..." I couldn't even believe I was going to do this. "...It's Ean." I said and waited for his response.