Chapter 9~~Time To Get Dirty

~Amber~

The next day Chiron stood in front of us during lunch and announced that there was gonna be a Chariot race that will be held that afternoon. The campers cheered and I looked at Zach and Melanie from the other tables and gave them a questioning look. They just shrugged.

"Looks like were gonna be teaming up," Percy said as he played with his empty cup of juice. I glanced at him, felt my cheeks burn, and muttered, "I suppose so."

"We might as well get to work then," he said and we both stood up. Other campers were leaving to work on their chariots as well, and I saw my friends walking towards us.

"So, you two are gonna be teams huh," Melanie said cheerfully. She was standing a little too close to Zach and he inched his way away from her.

"Are you two gonna be teams?" I asked and Melanie grinned in reply.

"Annabeth decided that I should work with people I'm comfortable with. And I didn't bother disagreeing." She winked and I giggled.

"Do you wanna be in my team instead?" Zach suddenly asked and stepped in front of me, ignoring Percy's glares behind him.

"I don't think I can since you're already with Melanie," I frowned. "Besides, I already have a team." I didn't wanna say the word partner cause Annabeth was just a few feet away, shooting suspicious looks every now and then.

Zach sighed and said, "Okay then, but if you ever need help, which, you might with your team, let us know." He winked and Percy let out a growl.

Zach chuckled and walked away, and Melanie followed bouncing in her feet excitedly.

"Come on," Percy said after shooting another glare at my friends' retreating figures and I followed him towards the Armory.

"I still have my chariot from last month, and I'm sure with a few changes, it'll work perfectly again." He said and I helped him pull out a chariot from a large shed. I had to admit it looked fairly impressive. It was the color of the sea with sea animals painted at the side, and at the front of the chariot there was a trident, Poseidon's symbol.

"Tell me what to do to help." I said and tied my hair into a ponytail.

He looked up, smiled, and I felt him feel superior at my words. I gave a quick smile and went to retrieve a tool box from the shed just so I wouldn't have to see him smile again, even though a part of me wanted to.

I heard him sigh as I walked away and sighed as well.

~*~*~*~

After a few hours of constant working, our chariot was beginning to look invincible and indestructable.

"Pass me that screw driver, will you?" He asked as he laid under the chariot, attaching certain gears and machines. I stuck my hand with the tool under chariot and felt his hand linger on mine longer than needed as he took the tool. I felt myself blush and felt glad that he couldn't see my face.

I then saw a lose cap connected to a tube by the wheel, and poked it a few times, trying to get it to be tigher. Suddenly, black liquid bursted out and I gasped. I shielded my eyes with my hand and felt myself get wet by the liquid and I screamed.

I heard Percy bang his head loudly under the chariot and heard him gasp as well as he sat next to me, getting wet.

"You burst the oil pump!" He yelled. Through my fingers I saw him hastily stick duct tape over the damage, sealing the oil inside. 

I was about to argue that it wasn't my fault when I saw what he looked like and burst out laughing.

"What?" He asked, annoyed, although there was a hint of amusement in his tone.

"You look blacker than your hair, Percy!" I wiped a tear from my eye and cracked up again. "You're like a charcoal brought to life!"

Despite the oil on his face, I saw him turn scarlet. He glared at me for a while but burst out laughing as well.

"You're one to talk!" He laughed and splashed more oil on me.

I gasped and burst out laughing again. I scooped the oil from the puddle on the ground and threw it at him. He laughed and shielded himself with his arm. We continued laughing as we splashed each other with the disgusting liquid like a bunch of kids.

As we continued to make fun of each other I was shocked to realize that I was smiling more than I ever did since I came to camp. Hell I was even smiling more than I ever did my whole life.

And as much as I hate to admit it, I also realized that I was actually loving the presence of Percy Jackson.