[3] The Shadow is Dancing

~~Lezarelle~~

I was awaking. Looking. I gazed hazily at a white ceiling. It was just a ceiling. With tiny patterned dots, each full of a minute rainbow spectrum. As I looked, they shifted and danced for me, an invisible party, in honor of my consciousness.

I smiled. It hurt. The speckles laughed merrily and whirled even faster, faster ---

Watching hurt. I couldn't watch. A silent scream swelled inside my head, like the feedback of two microphones shoved together, getting louder and louder, the lighth brighter and brighter, threatening to spurt blood from my eyes and ears --

A thick, damp fog, black as night, threw its arms around me.

~~Zeke~~

He wanted so badly to take back what he had just done. How would he take care of her if she was under his influence?

"You just put her to sleep, didn't you?" Steve whispered.

Zeke nodded.

His best friend walked over to the bed, and Zeke could see that his hands were fidgeting at his sides.

Nope. No touching, he thought, and swiftly joined Steve by the charcoal colored bed. The two of them stared at the girl, in awe, in pity, in reverence. Then Zeke realized that he'd almost forgotten his new discovery. His eyes twitched in shock all over again. Steve had know. Zeke cleared his throat softly.

Steve glanced at him. His brown and green eyes were expectant.

"She's half demon."

Steve did a doubletake. "What??" he whispered hoarsely.

Zeke nodded. "Which means that they did nothing to her of that sort." Oh, but they did something, all right, he thought angrily, Something they will regret. He clenched his fists.

"Lighten up, " Steve cautioned in a low voice.

Zeke inhaled. "Thanks."

Steve only nodded, and turned his gaze back to the girl.

Okay, that was a bit much. She wasn't here for him to admire. Good grief.

Zeke decided to start the conversation. Maybe he would get away from her. "We need to find a vampire doctor."

Steve looked at Zeke, who didn't miss the reluctance in his eyes. "Can a vampire doctor treat a demon girl?"

Zeke nodded, reiging back the play of emotions from his face. "Of course. Any immortal can treat another. Problem is, I don't know anyone."

They both stood in thought for a while. Zeke presumed he had succeeded in getting Steve's mind off of her. But then again, why would he feel the need to keep Steve away from her? It wasn't like Steve was a criminal rapist.

Which, speaking of, when he found those beasts who had the nerve to do this....

"Hello? Zeke!"

He jumped to see Steve waving a hand in front of his face. "Whatever you're thinking about has nothing to do with helping her. I can tell. Focus!"

Zeke glared at the floor. Listen to him, jerk. Focus.

"Are there any vampire clubs in the city?" Steve asked when he was sure Zeke was paying attention.

"Like, places where immortals meet?"

"Yea, that."

Zeke contemplated. "Um, I think so. But buddy, hate to break it to ya', you can't go."