twenty five trapped

"So." He rests his chin on top of his folded hands once we sit down. My eyes trace over his features for the millionth time. This time, I study his thick eyelashes.

"So." I mimic him. "What exactly did you want to talk about?" I tuck a strand of hair behind my ear and sip my complimentary glass of water.

He just shrugs.

"Okay. How about we start off by talking about Veronica."

"Like I said, there is nothing to talk about." He shakes his head, not once moving his eyes from mine. He stirs his ice water with his straw. I watch the ice cubes clink together.

"What about the fact that you're dating her?"

"Oh my god Addy. Stop being so insecure. It's unattractive." He smirks and I can tell he's trying to annoy me.

What annoys me the most is that it's working.

My mouth parts. "I'm not insecure." I try my best to not yell. "Do you even understand the situation at all? I'm not insecure. I'm worried that you cheated on your girlfriend." I fold my hands together and squeeze until my knuckles turn white.

"Well, we're not dating." He tilts his head and smirks. I squint my eyes at him, trying to figure out if he's lying.

But then again, would he lie about this to me? I don't think he cares enough to lie. I cross my arms over my chest and lean back.

Just as I do so, the waiter comes and takes our order. I order first and then Cameron follows by ordering basically the entire menu.

"What else do you need to interrogate me about?"

I suck in a breath and grit my teeth. "I'm not interrogating you Cameron. I asked you one question, and in my opinion, it was a pretty reasonable question."

"Okay. And again, no I am not dating her. She may think differently but we are not together." He rolls his eyes, bored with the topic.

I nod slowly. That should make me feel better. In a small way, it does but there's still a bit of uneasiness shaking my body.

I just still feel bad because I know she likes Cameron a lot.

"Anyways." My finger draws shapes into the fog on my glass of water. "What did you want to tell me."

"Oh. Um... never mind. Yeah, never mind." He avoids eye contact with me and begins taking his utensils out of his napkin.

"Aw come on. I'm curious now, don't leave me hanging." I kick his shin under the table with my foot.

"It's a long story."

"Well right now is a perfect time to tell it." I try to push him.

He stops and stares at me for what seems like forever.

I laugh a little bit, uncomfortably and he frowns.

"What?" A weird feeling starts in my stomach. "Cameron stop. You're creeping me out. What's the matter?"

He just shrugs and meets my eyes again. "Look, Addy. I don't know why. Or how. But I'm starting to like you."

My heart beats a little bit faster. Is this going to be good or bad?

"And I'm only saying this because I don't like many people."

I start smiling but he cuts me off.

"But that's not the point." He shoves his hand through his hair, puffing out a breath.

Bad. This is bad.

"I just think that you should know, just because I like you, that doesn't mean everything is better."

I furrow my eyebrows. "What are you talking about? I know not everything is better-"

"I know." His eyes somehow deepen. "My family- or my mom and Craig, they're not as ethical as you think they are."

"Ethical?" I ask incredulously, choking on my water. "Trust me. I know they're not ethical. They bought another human being-"

"I know, I know. That isn't what I'm talking about though."

"Okay. So they're even crazier than I think they are. Which is to say that they are absolutely insane? Like psychotic?"

He tilts his head back and forth, contemplating what his response will be. "Look, Addy, I just want you to be happy."

I start laughing but see that his face is stone cold.

He's serious.

"Oh." I raise my eyebrows. I still can't bring myself to believe him though. What has he done for my well being thus far?

"I know what you're thinking. But I'm serious." He tilts his head slightly. "I'm moving out soon."

My heart skips a beat. "Does that mean I can go? I can be free?"

"That's sort of what I had to tell you."

I weave my fingers through one another and squeeze until they go numb. "What are you talking about?"

"When I'm gone, they're not just going to throw you out. They paid for you and they said they could use another hand cleaning around the house or whatever."

Or whatever. I repeat him inside my head. He said it so nonchalantly when it is a huge deal. I shake my head. "I don't understand."

"Addy," His eyes darken again. They darken more than I've ever seen them darken. Like coffee before you add any milk or sugar. "They bought you." He continues. "And they don't plan on ever returning you."

***

a/n: dang.
im legit addicted to twenty one pilots.
oh my god JOSH oh my god TYLER
marry me pls
my profile pic is me & my cat check it out
but yeah like comment or whatever you feel is necessary
-h.m.