Chapter Seven

Perry Jenkins looks at us while cracking his knuckles. My skin tingles with nerves, and I can’t stop swaying on my feet. I want to run away and hide from this man, but at the same time I want to know what his sessions have to offer us. Kyle stands to my left and Tilly to my right, both composing themselves by inflicting pain on their lower lips.

Nineteen of us stand in Room 904, which is on the top floor of Sector One. It is the size of two school classrooms, but certainly doesn’t resemble one. The walls are dark; a mixture of greys and blues, and the floor is again marble but covered in blue crash mats. Due to the open space, the room gives off echoes, which makes Perry all the more intimidating when he speaks. The walls are lined with a number of equipment; punching bags, weights, skipping ropes, spears, and sandbags. Some hang from the wall, others are dumped on the ground. There are no windows in here, just artificial light and the sound of the vents, which are releasing cool air into the room.

At the moment I’m cold, but I’m sure I will warm up soon enough.

“None of you have ever participated in combat training, am I right?” Perry booms, looking at us all. I look around and everyone shakes their heads, and that is when I spot Tony. He spots me in the same moment, and his lips pull up into a smirk. Clearly he got over Ant’s death very quickly; the girl with the blue eyes still haunts me. “Have any of you took part in any form of violence?” Perry presses, and more heads shake, Tony’s included. I stay absolutely still, and Perry’s eyes automatically land on me.

“Harper? You don’t object?” he says, quirking a bushy black eyebrow. Before I can answer, he pulls his pad from the back pocket of his trousers and swipes his fingers across it a few times. “Use of a knife on fellow recruit, Tony Pierce.” he reads. “Act of self defence, opponent needed stitches. Did you carry a knife around with you often, Harper?”

“No.” I say.

“Then why did you carry one on this particular occasion?”

“Because I was sick of being attacked and beaten. Pierce had it coming.” I say, glaring in Tony’s direction. He isn’t smirking anymore as people are laughing at him, and red splodges cross his cheeks.

“So Pierce has got some experience in combat?” Perry demands, his eyes now trained on Tony.

“Not skilled combat.” I say, and Perry nods.

“Shut up, Harper!” Tony barks. I smile and look straight ahead. I can feel Kyle’s eyes boring into me as well as Tilly’s, and I hear Maxine suppress a giggle down the line.

“Enough, Pierce!” Perry shouts, and silence falls upon us once again. “Now, today will consist of building up your strength. Before physical violence comes preparation. Some of you are scrawny,” his eyes land on me again, “and that needs to be worked on. Athletic training will tie in nicely with this, but for today you will focus on weights, lifting and throwing alike.” Just now, as he turns to gesture towards the equipment behind him, the doors slide open behind us. I look back and watch Ethan slip into the room, pad in hand.

“Glad you could join us, Riley.” Perry says sarcastically.

“Wouldn’t miss it, Per.” Ethan says, completely at ease. Perry rolls his eyes as Ethan looks at each of us in turn, before perching himself of some platforms by the door.

“Get a move on!” Perry barks. “Weights and sandbags. If you don’t grab one, run along the back wall until it feels like your chest will explode. Then do stretches and do it again. Go!

We scamper forward, but I purposely linger as the others snag the weights. Six of us stand empty handed as the others begin to do as they are told, some sitting and others preferring to stand. Some struggle, their limbs shaking with the weight they suddenly find themselves fighting, while others act as if throwing a sack of sand is second nature to them.