Chapter Six

We sit in the dining hall, a floor down from our dorm, or rather the ground floor. It is the day after our release from the solitary confinement cells, and we all have new identities, new appearances, and a new look on what life will bring.

The hall is massive, big enough to hold over one hundred and fifty people. Tables skirt the grey marble floor, chairs filled with people eating their breakfasts. The walls hold images of past recruits who have gone on to Sector Five and beyond, and in the centre of the hall sits a buffet that offers food from full English breakfasts to fruit such as apples. Tea and coffees are also offered, as well as fresh juices.

“God, this is so good!” a boy on our table says, biting into a sausage. Maxine sits beside him, but that’s not her name anymore. Max is what replaces it, naturally. She chews around bland toast, not as enthusiastic as the boy beside her. Her hair is short, kissing her shoulders and thinned out like mine. Her right hand and left arm are bandaged, just like mine and everyone else’s. She has a black eye.

“Shut up, Kyle.” Tilly, or Fox, says beside me, flicking food at him from her folk. The boy, Kyle, loudly protests, and throws a remaining sausage at her. Tilly no longer has brown hair; it’s a shocking red colour now. Her lip has been split open, and a large bandage covers the spot where her neck meets the shoulder. She winces every time she moves her head.

On the table is everyone from my dorm and a couple from Maxine’s. We had to find the place ourselves, since the people here don’t believe in giving tours of the place. They want us to become independent as well as strong. The four of us found it kind of easily, only wandering for about ten minutes. As soon as we’d entered, Maxine had spotted me and Cole and bellowed our names in relief. She’d embraced us, and with a shaky breath, introduced us to some of her dorm members. I hadn’t cared enough to listen, too transfixed of her black eye.

Cole got lucky. He had no changes made, only the attention to the device and the attention to wounds. His name and appearance practically remains the same, apart from the slight trimming to his hair. DJ was almost as lucky, only he left with a tattoo on his neck; his initials in somewhat intimidating letters. Sometime tells me that he requested it.

“I want to go home, Connie.” Maxine says. “I mean Harper.”

“It’s okay; it’s nice to hear my name.” I smile, reaching over to touch her hand. Cole sits by her side, his arm draped over her shoulders. “And so do I, but this is what it is.”

“I can’t believe that bastard hit you.” Cole snarls, glowering at his empty plate. I haven’t touched anything on mine; two slices of toast and crispy bacon.

Cole is referring to Maxine’s mentor, one who has the same job as Ethan. When she was released from her cell, she apparently went nuts and attacked him, so in return she got a punch in the face. It had calmed her down to say the least.

“I like the black eye look, it’s kind of hot.” another boy says with a sly grin. Kyle laughs, and Maxine smirks at her plate. I like these boys; they make the most innocent person I know smile. I know that they are being kind to her for her sake, and I appreciate it since I can’t do it myself. After all, they live together now.

“How many are in your dorm?” DJ asked, scratching a spot in his hair as he finishes his breakfast.

“Seven. Four boys and three girls.” Kyle says, stuffing his face with beans. “The other two girls suck, though. Keep bragging about how tough they are and how fast they are, that’s why we ditched them this morning. Also, they keep poking fun at Max.”

“Yeah, so Max is sticking around with us.” the nameless boy says with a grin. I stare at him, trying to pluck a name, and finally I remember. Mike. Kyle and Mike look to be about twenty, but they certainly don’t act it. They’re too easy going, and it’s a breath of fresh air for me. They seem to be unfazed by the trauma of the last week, and it is only their eyes that give them away.