Chapter 3

I awoke the next morning trying very hard not to be noticed. Natsu had seen my glowing purple eye in the darkness, how could I possibly explain it? All I ended up doing was falling back asleep and waiting until Natsu dropped the subject. I knew living with him was a stupid idea.

            I stood up slowly, rocking back and forth in my hammock before stumbling to the hard floor. I slipped on my clothes, struggling with the zipper to my dress. As I stretched my hand around my back, bending and shaking awkwardly, I heard Natsu rustle in his bed. I froze in my spot, trying to make my breathing disappear.

            “Morning.” Natsu yawned, rolling around before dropping to the floor with a loud thud. I flinched, beginning to giggle more than I should. Natsu glared at me, raising his fist in the air. His face turned a beet red, either from embarrassment or pain.

            I brushed him off but he began running over to me, grabbing the end of my dress. I whipped around, slightly shocked.

            “You were glowing.” He panted.

            “Why thank you, Natsu. I’m happy you noticed.” I swooned sarcastically, batting my eyes. He frowned at me, pointing to my fringe.

            “Not like that! You’re eye was glowing!”

            “Maybe you should lay off the late night snacks.” I tugged the dress out of his grip before disappearing out the door. I know I can’t hold him off for too long, and that somehow I will have to tell an actual story. For now, I will just avoid the topic completely.

            *****************

            I stared at the colourful posters lining the bulletin board, trying to decide on which one I should pick. Each piece of paper had large numbers in bold print at the bottom, offering up some serious cash for each job.  I had never actually done any jobs before, so I felt slight butterflies fluttering in my stomach.

            So many people in this guild are talented, close, honest and amazing. I feel dirty being here, the things I have done are too horrible for me to wear the insignia of Fairy Tail. Everyone has done so many jobs probably, and I’m just a newbie that they treat so well. All of the girls are prettier than me, or more powerful, and the boys seem to get along with each other well. It feels hard to believe that I can be grouped with them, almost impossible. Being here makes me feel guilty; swallowing the truth makes the guilt even worse. Natsu is so nice, he is letting me stay at his house and treating me like a real friend, and lying is how I repay him?

               I hadn’t noticed that a man wearing aboriginal type attire was staring at me. It must look weird for me to be staring blankly at a sheet of paper in front of me. I ripped it from the board without reading what it said before smiling at the man reassuringly. 

            Before I could even read the crumpled paper in my hand, a strong arm wrapped around my neck. I bent over from the force, turning my gaze to the head perched on my shoulder, reading the flyer. “Whatcha’ got there?” Natsu asked, his green eyes sparkling like a child on Christmas.

            “Oh uh...” I trailed off, quickly reading the job description. We need some beautiful ladies to help model! So if you are young, pretty and need some cash then come down to- I was cut off by Natsu’s roaring laughter. I groaned, hating myself for picking up the flyer. I’m a wizard; I don’t need to prance around with everything showing like half the people here.

            “I-I’m not doing it!” My cheeks burned red. Natsu eyed me up and down, making me pull my dress down a little lower on my legs. Lucy and Erza appeared from behind him.

            “Why not? We can come too!” Lucy suggested. “I mean, I’m perfect model material, don’t you think?” Lucy bit her lip, posing to look sexy. I rolled my eyes, throwing the paper at her.

            “Then you do it, I refuse.” I groaned, pushing past the blond girl. She pouted, chasing after me.

            “It will be a good bonding experience! We can get to know you better!” Lucy interjected, catching up to me. The men in the guild began to stare at me, making my cheeks burn even hotter.

            “I-I want to do a better job.” I answered, turning shy. Lucy put her arm around me, squeezing me tightly.

            “This’ll be fun!” She giggled.

****************************

             “It’s too tight!” I whined as Erza tied the ribbons of my mouse costume tighter, squeezing the breath out of me. She kept tying tighter though, placing her foot on my back so she gave more force. I was sure my ribs were going to break.

            Once Erza had released, I fell to the ground. I crawled over to the full body mirror, stumbling to get up. My face twisted as I saw the ungodly outfit. Black socks climbed their way up my legs, stopping mid thigh until they were clipped somewhere under my skirt, if you could even call it that. The skirt was a dark grey, cut so short it made Lucy’s skirts look like something you wore to church. I tugged at it, trying to ignore the corset that was tightening around my body, pushing my boobs so they popped out the top. My face had a few whiskers on it and little mouse ears sat on top of my blue hair. I blushed, trying to claw my way out of the horrid outfit. There is no way I am modeling this thing, were people can see me.

            Erza and Lucy had similar lacy outfits just like mine, except Lucy is a cat and Erza is a bunny. I suspected we would have to change multiple times, but I wasn’t expecting such weird cosplay. For some reason, Erza and Lucy didn’t mind their outfits at all.

            “You look adorable!” Lucy squealed, running over to me. I pushed her off of me just as Erza came over.

            “You really do look cute; I wonder why you are so embarrassed.” She stated her voice just as emotionless and stern as ever. I sighed, still tugging at the skirt.

            “I can’t go out here like this.”

            “But you will!” A man came crashing into the dressing room. He had a curly mustache and purple hair; he was to about my knees. He gripped my arm, pushing me out onto the stage, Lucy and Erza following. Lucy bumped into me, making me stumble even more on my high heels.

            Once my eyes had adjusted to the bright lights, I realised that a lot of people from the guild were here. It wasn’t like I did this all the time, but to have people I actually know is seriously no good. I clumsily made my way down the runway, trying my best to awkwardly pose while eyes burned straight through me. I noticed Natsu right in front of me, sitting beside Gray. I almost fell off the stage, becoming even more embarrassed than before. I have just met these people and now I’m modeling lingerie for them.

            Once I had ripped my red face away from Natsu’s gaze, I noticed a familiar face. He wore the same black eyes as ever, with an evil grin. His face was hidden in the darkness, with a baggy hood slumping on the top of his head. His grin grew even bigger as he noticed I had spotted him. Memories whipped at me like gun fire, and fear struck me with everything I had. I stumbled, bumping into Lucy on the way. I could feel myself losing consciousness as I stumbled backwards, my eyes wide and legs trembling. Why is he here, how does he know where I am? His glowing eyes locking on my gaze, and he wore the same evil expression even as I tripped off the end of the runway.

            I landed onto someone’s lap, fainting before I could see who it was.