Chapter: 5

We slept for a couple hours without interruptions. Later that night, we woke up to several gun shots. I peeked down the stairs near the back yard door. Two men with guns appeared climbing our fence. I grabbed Araiya and picked up our backpacks full of supplies we would need.
Minutes later the two men had breached the inside our house. Araiya and I had quietly closed the door leading to the balcony in the front of the house.
   "Shh, they could've heard that." I whispered.
"Look we need to go, our neighbors never lock their car door, and you know how to hot wire a car plus they aren't here." Araiya said as the sound of a gun fired through out the house.
"Looks like they might be turning on each other." I sarcastically stated. Araiya giggled a bit.
    Sounds bursted down the street sounds like others had been doing the same things as the others in the house.
     A huge burst came from streets over, the sound of a shotgun. The sky started to darken. I saw a car down the road with the light on and a door open. We rushed towards it.
      "Get the fuck down." A strange man pulled the gun out as we were about to get in the car.
    "Jacob, is that you?" I glanced up. "Hunter, dude get that gun away from me asshole." I smiled.
      He glanced at me. "Where y'all headed?" He asked. "Anywhere but here." I sighed as we paused to catch some air.
      "Let's get in the car now, I don't want to get shot." I said as I opened the door. He stepped in the passenger and Araiya stepped in the back with Mykal.
     A shot bursted through the air. Every body either rushed inside and ducked down. I glanced back as Mykal bumped into the car. He slid down as Araiya opened the door to let him in.
     "Mykal... Mykal... He's not getting up." She paused.
      We started driving as our neighborhood disappeared off in the distance. "Mykal was a good friend." He nodded as the evening grew quieter. "Look, yes he was a good friend. But we need to move on." I mumbled.
     "What's your problem man." He shouted. "Remember a month ago when you asked me what we would do during an apocalypse. This is that moment." I stated.
     I tried pressing the break to stop near the corner for food as Hunter had placed a gun near my pocket. I couldn't stop the brakes so we crashed near the fence at the gas station. Got out of the car.
     "Everybody ok?" I asked.