Prologue

Prologue

Intellect. A mere word. Yet, along the lines, the purer of us would notice a deeper meaning. A meaning that infuses our souls with a vibrant essence of affection and satisfaction, that is if we use it wisely. It is one of the bases upon which all humankind should develop and produce.

In all my years of hardship, pain and unconditional suffering, I've found comfort within it's leaves, upon its book and most importantly, inside the soul I carry around wherever fate happens to drop me off.

Camellia Painflower; yes, the last name does suit me well, although it has brought a bit of mocking upon my head. I guess, though, if it weren't for the insight that I have come upon, the one upon which I have strived to base all my observations about this world, my actions and my reactions, that which is intellect, the mocking would have probably gashed deeply into my skin, leaving nothing but a loser for all that it's worth. You see, by nature, I am quite a sensitive person, but you can say these feelings don't exactly appear to the outer world; they're kept inside. On the outside, I'm bitter and slightly harsh to deal with. It's kind of like having schizophrenia, except that one of my so-called personalities isn't observed by the general public. A simple explanation to all of this could be the way I view this world and all of its aspects. Or it could be the things and mishaps that I have seen in this fateful world. Or it could possibly be some hidden and mysterious reason that I am well unaware of, one that involves my inner being. But I have long since let that contemplation slide, for I've had more important things to do, or should I say, to overcome. That is the way I see them anyway, more important.

My parents, Jole Painflower and Jenine Tames, were both victims of a fatal fire that caused a whole building to collapse in downtown Sicily, Italy. Yeah, you can probably taste the irony here, Sicily being the center of mass destruction, chaos and mental and physical breakdown under harsh tyranny in Italy that lasted for several centuries. I, for one, was a great fan of Sicilian history.....not the tyranny, just the history. But after my parents' death, I just dropped it completely. Personally, I thought such disturbing times were over. I guess I was wrong, so wrong.

You see, the fire my parents died in wasn't the only catastrophe that took place, but the first in a series of tragedies I had to face. At the time of their death, I was seventeen. The idea of my parents and what happened to them perished for some time, after the usual dosage of mourning, that is. Thirteen years later, it is brought back to life in an attempt to resurrect the accident and the truths behind it.

Now, here is where intellect and cunningness come in handy. The cops believe that this fire accident was a mere accidental doing. I believe, no......I know different.

After being moved back to Memphis, my homeland, located in Tennessee, America at the humble age of seventeen and surviving the worst of its orphanages, the sparks of a dark truth quirk me up and I'm on the move......at last, at thirty.

My parents were killed, so was everyone else in that building, but for God's sake, why?

***********

Note:

It's just a beginning but I hope you find some entertainment along the lines.

(Dear Reader,

Please be informed that the previous note has absolutely nothing to do with the contents of this story.

Thank you.)