Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Cruelty, vileness, immorality, corruption, depravity. Whilst living amid the darkness within their reaches, you begin to think that they are the center of the human heart. The pumping, the beating, the throbbing. They all depend upon these horrid and repugnant qualities. Every pulse, every thump, every heartbeat is constituted by the rage and might with which they hit the human soul.

My throat constricts, restricting my breathing. I am suffocating. The alley seems so tight and close, even for the fact that I am laying outstretched on the ground in the open air, with my eyes fixed on the dark blue sky above me.

I inhale and exhale deeply in an attempt to get a fair amount of oxygen into my frail lungs. The sound of my breathing echoes down the gloomy alley.

I am unable to think clearly. My mind feels weary and rusty. At the moment, it is in a sheer muddle. I try to pick myself up off the ground but my entire figure is numb; it almost feels as if I'm sedated.

A vague muffled sound penetrates my anguished mind like a good round bullet. I hear those same stiff footsteps approaching me and I steel myself for what I know is to come. A few seconds later, I see his face but I cannot see it. I can only see the gruesome scar glistening in the light of the streetlamp. He stops by my side and leans over me.

He reaches into his coat pocket and takes out an object with a tip that sparkles in the shiny light. It takes me a few seconds to notice what it is. He injects the cold light purple fluid within its syringe into my bloodstream. Strangely enough, though, the pain resides and I feel an odd soothing effect that seems to take over my senses. I expect to pass out but I do not. Instead, I notice that I cannot move at all as if I were suffering from paralysis. My breathing rate increases and I start to panic.

He smiles in satisfaction at how well the deed had been carried out. Once again, I make an attempt to get my limp and languorous body off the ground but I am met with a heavy and coarse slap across my face. I can feel the heat taking over the whole of my right cheek and I can sense the the bruise swelling up. Although I cannot see it, I can sense that my ear is scarred and bloody from the firm impact with the ground as a result of the lurid slap.

A vicious laugh cracks through the calmness of the air and as abruptly as ever, I find myself being dragged down the harsh and scabrous alley. I try to discarge a scream or a yell but my voice comes out as a mere throaty cry that would probably barely penetrate a sheet of paper. My arms and legs get scratched and bruised and I decide to bide the pain and misery patiently until our arrival at the intended destination.

To my disdain, being dragged like this seems to last for hours so I start to struggle. He stops in his tracks, turns around, bends low over me, grabs both my arms, flips me on my stomach and continues dragging me in that manner. I decide to keep my mouth shut and save myself further sufferance.

We continue like this for a few more minutes and then he finally releases my arms. I infer that we're finally there. But where is there?

I pick my heavy and turbulent head off the ground and look around me. My eyes widen in pure agitation, frustration and trepidation as I recognize my jolting surroundings.

I know this place. I know this field. I know this house. I 've been here before.

My heart pounds in utter fear and I start to sweat fiercely.

It can't be, yet it is.

••••••••••••

I wake up with a start. Although I am awfully dazzled, I am not surprised. It's not like it's the first time. I shove those thoughts to the back of my mind and I slip out of bed. I look at the alarm clock on my nightstand. It is 8:00 PM. I've had quite a long evening nap. I head to the bathroom to take a nice warm shower and I slip on a pair of light brown pants and a light green long-sleeved shirt.