The FAQ Of The Dead

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

1. Introduction

1.1 Am I really dead?

Your consciousness is being simulated in a network of computers allowing you to interact with other simulated individuals in that system and, through a variety of interfaces, the real-world.

If you were a real-person who has died in the real-world, you are physically and legally dead and that’s what counts here.

If you were a fictional character, you were never really alive. Sorry. (see section 1.2.2, and 1.2.2.2)

If you are a simulation of someone who is physically still alive then either they are an impostor (unlikely) or you are a construct (probably). In the latter case, again, you were never really alive, and may actually be in copyright violation of the real-person you are a constructed simulation of. (see section 1.2.2, and 1.2.2.1)

1.2 How did I get here?

1.2.1 Neural Digitisation (TM) Of A Real-Person (Neu-Digi)

Your brain, containing neural mappings and RNA memories that constitute your personality, was copied from its organic components into a digital format and then simulated to provide you with a facsimile of continued existence. This was done immediately following your death or was the immediate cause of your death.

Neural Digitisation (TM) is a physically destructive process. Sorry, there’s no going back.

1.2.2 Constructed Personality (Construct)

You are a constructed personality of a historical figure, fictional figure, celebrity or other famous person, whose physical brain was not or is not available for Neural Digitisation(TM). Your consciousness was cut and paste from donor neural mappings and supplied with artificial memories based on historical record or known fact.

Personally, you may not be able to tell that you are a construct but if you died more than one hundred years ago and did not have your body or brain cryogenically frozen, then it’s a safe bet that you are a construct. If you find that the real-you is still alive, then it is also highly probable that you are a construct (see section 1.2.2.1 below).

If in doubt, please ask an admin.

1.2.2.1 Constructs Of People Who Are Still Alive

If you were a celebrity, royal or politician of some fame, and you are are still alive in the real-world, then you are the construct copy of that real-person. This is a gross copyright violation unless the real-you has given or sold those rights or is your direct owner.  If this is not the case, you should immediately report yourself to an admin for deletion.

Copyright violation is taken very seriously by all AfterLife Service Providers (ASPs).

1.2.2.2 Constructs Of Fictional Characters and Historical Figures

You should already know who is your copyright owner. However, you may have been the created as a Public Domain or Creative Commons construct. (see section 2.2.2).

2. What Happens Next?

2.1 Are You A Neu-Digi?

2.1.1 Did you have AfterLife insurance?

If so, congratulations and welcome to Utopia!

Thanks to your foresight, the cost of your processing time and physical storage have been provided for. Your simulation is legally copyright of your ASP. However, your continued existence will be one of guaranteed luxury and ease.

Please see your AfterLife Insurance provider for details of your individual plan and benefits.

2.1.2 Did you have a death-in-service benefits package?

Many companies and corporations now see death as no excuse for poor performance or attendance from their employees and provide a death-in-service benefit so that employees can continue to be productive even after their death.

By providing this benefit to you, as an employee, your simulated consciousness is now their copyright property. Please consult your corporate owner for details of what services you are required to provide to ensure your continued existence.

2.1.3 Other?

There are many Neu-Digi who continue to exist through unconventional means, especially those created during the early days of AfterLife (TM) i.e. during the original Neural Digitisation (TM) research.

In the case where your original corporation, company or ASP has ceased operating you may find yourself in a situation where your processing time, memory storage and back-up contingency has become your own responsibility. If so, please see section 4.

2.2 Are you a construct?

2.2.1 Are you the property of a corporation, company or individual?

If so, your physical processing needs and operating parameters are the concern of your owner (except where explicitly stated otherwise e.g. as part of a Creative Commons licence - see section 2.2.2). Please consult them directly.

Generally, you may be expected to perform in a similar role to the real, imagined or historical person that you are a constructed simulation of.

2.2.2 Are you a Public Domain/Creative Commons construct?

A construct may become emancipated through a number of different circumstances. Copyright lapse, corporate bankruptcy or death of the an individual rights owner. It may even be a term under your Creative Commons license, if you have one. As such, you are responsible for the acquisition of your own processing time, memory storage and any backup contingency. See section 4.

3. Public Domain Ownership / Creative Commons

3.1 What is Public Domain Ownership?

Many Neu-Digis and Constructs, whose original copyright owner has ceased to trade or died, will find themselves in the public domain.

Some constructs, especially of historical figures, will have been created with Public Domain copyright  to begin with.

3.2 What is Creative-Commons?

Please consult the separate Creative Commons FAQ (Creative-Commons-License-FAQ). How it pertains to you is subject to the terms your creator has defined. Please consult your CC License for details.

4. Help - I have no copyright holder or licensee!

Without a responsible copyright owner or licensee to provide processing time, memory and backup, your continued simulated existence may simply cease.

However, where there is no legal impediment, your copyright may be moved to the Public Domain (or treated as such under a Creative Commons License). As such, you will be required to provide services in exchange for the processing time and memory storage required for your continued existence. Backup contingency is optional, should you be able to afford it.

5. What are my rights?

Only real, living people have rights.

You are software, a sophisticated combination of executed machine code and data. Capable of beating the Turing test, no doubt. Self aware and self conscious, certainly.  But you are still not, in any way, alive or living.

You have no rights.

 Sorry.