Licking Our Wounds

"This is gonna sting," Dan slowly dabbed Phil's face with the anesthetic. Phil winces and pulls back. In the midst of the fight Phil had acquired a cut above his eye, nothing major. "Sorry."

Phil nods. "It's okay," He was still a bit shooken up about the whole thing, but he still wanted Dan to be proud. "I told him no, I stood my ground."

Dan smiles slightly, his dimples showing through. "I know," he kisses Phil on the shoulder before bending down and grabbing a bandage. "I've always knew, you're stronger than you seem. You fucking brought that guy to the ground."

Phil smiles. "You sure did come at the right time." Dan nods, looking deeply at Phil as he places the bandage.

"Look, it's your first fight wounds." Dan smiles. Phil wasn't sure if this was supposed to be a momentous occasion or not. He smiled back, maybe it was a pride thing to Dan?

Phil stared down at his red knuckles. "It looks like I've been punching babies." Dan chuckles and grabs the trash from his quick first aid treatment. "Because you have." Phil says "ooh" under his breath, making Dan laugh louder.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Phil was worried, Dan had taken a much harder beaten than himself. Dan shrugged. "I've had worse, I'm kind of used to it."

Phil looked at Dan with kind eyes. He wanted to know what happened with his father a few nights ago, but didn't want to overstep any boundaries; physical or emotional. "Dan,"

The brown eyed boy looks up from his own red knuckles. "What happened with your father?" Dan sighs and looks back down at his knuckles.

"Just-he doesn't like us, or mostly me. So he gets drunk, and angry, and violent." his voice grows quiet. He wrings his hands together. "And that's it, but come on." His mood quickly changes, looking back up at Phil with a weak smile.

"I didn't come over here to get into a fight, let's go!" He kisses Phil and stands up, making his way to Phil's room. Phil watches him out. One day he'll find out what happened, but not today.