Closed Curtains

ANNABETH CHASE

The whole car ride I stay silent. It's not awkward though, mainly because the music is playing.

I turn my head away and look out the window. I smirk when I hear Percy quietly singing along.

"Okay so....you're going to have to direct me." Percy says, ceasing his singing.

"Left up here"
Percy puts the indicator on and turns.
"Next exit."
"Right here."
"Down that street." I say.
Percy looks around and laughs out loud.

"Either you are secretly directing me to my own house, or we live very close together."  He says.

I look around alarmed.
"How close?" I ask.
"Well I live down that street." Percy points to the right of him as we drove past.
"Number 42. If you ever need me..just come." He says.

I give him a small smile in response. His kindness overwhelms me.

"Oh stop here." I say.
Percy pulls over on the road, two wheels up on the grass outside my house.
"This is your house?" He asks, calculating something.
"Yeah." I look over at it. I tense when I see the car on the driveway. She's not supposed to be home.

"Wasn't there a police incident in this street a few months ago?" He asks.
I nod.
"Yeah."
"What was that about? All I remember is seeing about five cop cars parked around this street."

"Domestic violence...I'm pretty sure."

I'm not pretty sure, I'm confident that it was. You want to know why?

Because I was the victim.

But the police didn't do anything really. My step-mother got out of any charges. With the help of my own father.

Ever since then, she's threatened me. Said that if I were to ever contact the police again, she would make up some horrible story that would put me in a mental asylum.
The story wouldn't have to be too wild for that.

"I hate people that abuse their family. I had a step-father that abused my mother. That bastard is now rotting in jail." A darkness flashes in Percy's eyes.
I look back out the window. I stare at the car in the driveway. My step witch is home.

I don't want to be here anymore. If she finds out that I had another episode...

"Percy...can you take me back?" I ask, suddenly panicky.
Percy looks at me in confusion.
"But we just got here...are you sure you want to go back?"
"I-"

I hear a door slam shut. I look over and see the step mother marching towards Percy's car. The front door shakes on its hinges behind her.

"Oh shit." I say.
"What?" Percy leans forward to get a better look.
He sees the angry woman marching towards us.

I exhale and compose myself.
I look over at Percy with a sudden calmness washing over me. I have to protect him.

"As soon as I close the door, you have to drive. Get out of here, don't come back. No matter what." I say.
Percy looks at me exasperated.
"Annabeth what do-"

I get out of the car and close the door.

Percy doesn't drive.

He watches from inside the car.

"So the little bitch is home early. What happened? Did you have another freak out? Your father will be very disappointed when I tell him his daughter is still a mental bitch." She stands so close to me I can feel her angry breath on my face.

Her words echo through my mind.

"Who the fuck is that?" She asks pointing to the car.

"No one." I say too quickly. Usually I would use my wit to outsmart her, but I'm drained from earlier.

My step mother, Susan, grabs my wrist harshly.

"Don't lie to me."
My wrist burns in pain. Tears spring to my eyes.

"Just leave me alone." I cry.
Susan tilts her head in mock sympathy. "Awe is the little bitch crying?"

I bite my lip to stop myself from beating the crap out of her. I can't. Then she would definitely have leverage over me.

She slaps me across the face. Hard. She lets go of my wrist and I stumble. Tears involuntarily slip down my face. I grab my cheek and glare at her.

My eyes shift when I see movement coming from a house near me.

Someone just closed their curtains.

What great neighbours they are.

I look back at Susan but she's not looking at me. She's looking behind me.

I feel a hand on my back.

Percy.