5) You Said It Well Enough

"Did - did you..." Beca managed, trying to get her attention. "Did you like it?"

"Is it for Jesse?" Chloe asked as plainly as she could.

Beca's eyes darted away immediately and she struggled to find an answer. It saddened Chloe to be feeling like this. She was one of her closest friends and yet she couldn't bring herself to be happy for her and the relationship that she had. If that made her selfish, fine. But she didn't want to be involved anymore. She would avoid her, she decided - shut her out like Beca always did. It would be easier than this.

"I'm going to go back to bed, Beca." Chloe breathed after a moment of consideration. Beca pushed her laptop off of her again and began to move - wanting to protest - but she was already shuffling off the bed. "I hope you feel better. Maybe you can give him a call, see if he wants to take care of you."

"Wait," Beca said urgently. Chloe looked back over her shoulder at her.

It happened in an instant - Beca moving in to kiss her. One second, all she could feel was her upset. The next, Beca's warm lips were pressed against hers. She felt the smaller girl shift closer, timidly taking the back of Chloe's neck into her hands and holding her there.

"I'm sick," Beca breathed, pulling away. "I shouldn't have kissed you while I was sick."

"Bec," Chloe caught her breath, her head reeling. "You're with someone."

Beca shrank back, almost whispering now. "The song was for you, Chlo."

They paused.

"I didn't know how else to say it,"

Chloe felt as though her world had shifted suddenly.

"I think you said it well enough."

'If I call out your name like a prayer in the night,
Would you leave me alone with my tears?
Knowing I need you so,
Would you still turn and go?
Or would this time be different,
In some way?

Don't go. Please stay. Don't go.'