Chapter 1

I watched as the things below me became more clear. I was now back in Manhattan, and I know I am about to dread every moment ahead of me. I went back to Barbados for a reason, yet I always end up right back into Manhattan. I took out my book bag from the storage bunk above me, slightly having to use my tip-toes.

I waited patiently for my luggage to come to me, getting more anxious every time someone grabbed their luggage. I then checked my phone, 10:27 PM. I picked up my luggage, managing to roll all three bags over to McDonald's, where I sat and waited for my uncle.

____________________________________

"So.." my Uncle Jerry looked through the rear view mirror at me, "How was the flight?" I looked at him, looking back down at my phone, "It was okay, I got the window seat this time!" I tried to make the conversation less awkward, only because my uncle knew how much I didn't want to be in Manhattan.

He chuckled, then sighed, stopping the car as we came upon a red light. "I know you're not looking forward to this, but come on! It's your senior year, I've bought a new, big home, oh and Jason's moved out, you won't have to deal with his petty jokes anymore, plus, this school has a really good dance team, everything will be perfect this year!" I groaned.

Jason.. Jason was my cousin. He ruled Manhattan, he was also a gang leader. Long story short for why I left last time was simply because he tried to trade me for some drugs he couldn't pay for at the time. I've hated him ever since, but before that we were so close. Like two peas in a pod, you could say.

We pulled up to this large, brick home. My eyes widened the closer we got to it, "Uncle Jerry.. You bought this?" I asked him, he smiled and looked up at the house his self, "Yeah.. It's crazy how much money you could save up from being a janitor, eh?" We walked into the house, going upstairs so he could show me my room.

I placed my suitcases on my bed. "Rihanna.." I heard a familiar voice. I looked up to come face to face with my Aunt Jamie. I hugged her as tight as I could, finally, a plus side to coming back.

"O-M-G, I thought you'd never come back, baby!" She giggled as I smiled. "You and Uncle Jerry are back together, huh?" I asked, she laughed, "I could only call myself mad for so long, he always lures me on back."

I shook my head, sitting on my bed as she did the same. "I've missed you so much. When you left I was devastated. But now you get to be our only child, and ugh.. I'm just glad you're here, mami!" She held me as I rubbed her back.

Jamie is Mexican. Her and her family immigrated to New York when she was 11, now here she is 35 and she runs a hair salon. She was the first person I really opened myself up to, since she had such a strong past, I could always relate to her. I could always trust her.

"Ugh, I'm going to let you get some sleep, you've got a big day tomorrow!" Jamie exclaimed, leaving my room, closing the door gently.

I threw myself back on my bed, sighing. Tomorrow I start high school as "the new girl"... and I'm barely ready.

_______________________________

I laced my Adidas, jogging downstairs, turning on the kitchen light. "Apple.. Oatmeal.. Cereal..?" I asked myself as I looked around the modern kitchen. "I believe oatmeal is a good choice, and not because it's healthy, because you really need to taste this new flavor!" Jamie suggested, opening up the fridge to get some milk.

I giggled, taking out the oatmeal. "Hm.. Honey apple," I looked at my aunt as she smirked, "With oats," I lowly spoke, a smile spreading across my face as we both exploded into laughter. "Hurry, I wanna show you your surprise!" She rushed as I made my oatmeal.

I grabbed my book bag before we both walked outside, we stopped in front of the garage. "Well I wanted to wait til' later but Jerry insisted we go ahead and give it to you." Jaime began to pull up the garage, I pushed my hair behind my ear, but soon froze as I saw what the surprise was. Uncle Jerry stood next to a red Ford Fusion, smiling and dangling the keys.

I jumped on him, hugging the life out of him. He laughed at my tight embrace. "Honey, we can celebrate later, but you've got to get to school in your new whip!" I giggled at his attempt to use slang, but hopped in my new ride, the "new car" smell giving me life.

________________________________