Chapter 3

I know what I have to do. I strut into school after visiting Cas. She ended up waking up and asking for me after I left the hospital. It was so relieving to hear her voice again and see the warmth in her blue eyes. But then... She asked if Annie knew what happened.

"Maybe she will feel bad and take me back." Cas had whispered, not looking me in the eye.

I just shook my head after she said that and said goodbye and left. Does she not understand?

I caught a glimpse of Annie while I was at my locker. I had my jaw clenched. Calm down. I told myself and I keep walking, right. Fucking. Past. Her.

I almost have the nerve to punch her. Then I would get suspended but at least I could prove a point.

After the last bell rang I sprinted out of the school and sat right by the main entrance, sucking on a lollipop, my green hood over my head so no one recognized me.

I see curly brown hair striding away from school and I hop up, slinging my bag over my shoulder. I suppress a low grumble, though Annie didn't seem to hear.

"Annie!" I call once we are far away from school. She knows that I am not a fan of her but she doesn't know how much I hate her.

"Um hey Deanna..." She turns around slowly. She is smiling. That makes me even madder. I throw my bag to the side and grab her shirt, throwing her against a brick wall and holding her there. Her knuckle bopped up into my lip.

"Do you know what you've done?!" I shout into her face.

"N-no please don't hurt me." Annie says. She sounds so innocent.

"You almost killed Cassie! You almost killed her! She tried to commit suicide last night because of your dumb ass! You've got fucking commitment issues and you better stay out of my life and hers the rest of your life! Get lost bitch!" I slam her against the wall again and punch her in the face. Then I dropped her crumpled body to the ground and grab my bag, walking away.

I licked my bloody lip where it split and spit onto the concrete. I hope she rots in hell. That felt hella good.

I make my way back to the hospital. Everybody knows me now as a hero, though they don't know that I just beat a girl to a pulp.

"Deanna?" Cas was laying in bed, reading a magazine. She looked up and made eye contact with me. It didn't hold long as her gaze flicked over the rest of my face. "What happened?"

"Oh nothing don't worry about me." I wipe more blood away and she tosses a tissue box into my chest. I catch it clumsily and grab a tissue, holding it against my split lip.

"But I do worry about you..." Suddenly realization tinted her eyes. "No you didn't! Deanna you shouldn't have gotten involved!" Cas shouted at me. That alerted a nurse who walked in the door.

"Cas I can understand." I say, backing up. Cas was getting out of the bed.

"No you can't! I love her! Why would you do this?! You shouldn't have gotten involved!!!!" She repeated and dove at me. The nurse snagged her and yanked her back. Cas desperately tried to get to me, probably wanting to rip my throat out. Tears spring into my eyes but I push them away. I sprint out of the room and start down the hall.

"I don't need you!" I hear a strangled scream come from Cas' room. This time I couldn't stop them. But I need you...

The rest of my day was okay. I get home to be greeted by my 10 year old brother Sam.

"Deanna Deanna!" He shouts, climbing through his minefield of Legos to get over to me. "What happened to you?" He asked, reaching up to touch my face.

"Um long story."

"How's Cassie?" Sam asked, smiling sweetly, his hazel puppy eyes shining.

"Well she's walking now... She's got a lot of fight in her still." Well I'm not wrong...

"That's good. We should both go in sometime."

"Uh Sammy, I don't think we should. Sorry little hub, the doctors... They uh want to do some solo tests." I lie.

"Oh... Okay." He sighs unhappily but goes back to his Legos.

"How about I put on some Pokemon for you?" I plop down on the couch.

Sam blinks, staring at me. "I'm not 7 years old anymore De. I play video games now!" He says confidently.

"And what games are those?" I sit forward, putting my elbow on my knees.

"Dad got me a pack. Call of Duty is one of them! Do you want to play with me?" He tilts his head to one side.

"Fine." I concede and we play the game. I actually won couple rounds!