chapter 4

“Maybe we were just hearing things.” I whispered to Jake, as we sat in the bin, squished together.

“Yeah, maybe-“

All of a sudden, the sound of a door busting open came from downstairs.

I clenched my teeth, trying to be as mute as possible.

I shot a worried look to Jake, holding back the urge to burst into tears.

“I don’t want to go to jail, Jake.” I whispered in a pained voice.

“Bree, we’re going to be fine.” He whispered back, interlocking his fingers in mine.

Normally, I would have pulled away because of the whole ‘playing hard to get,’ thing.

But not now, no, I was scared to death of getting caught.

“Should I check in here?” I heard an officer’s voice right above us.

I felt my whole body go still, and if even for a second, my heart stopped beating.

Jake quickly clamped his hand over my mouth to keep me from bursting out into sobs.

“Are you kidding me Roy?  Do you really think a teenager could fit in that? Let’s be a little practical.” Another officer said sternly.

I felt a wave of relief rush over me.

“That was close.” Jake muttered as the police left the room.

“Yeah.” I admitted.  “A little too close.”

I then realized that we were still holding hands.

“Uh, sorry.” I blushed, a little embarrassed, releasing my hand from his.

“It’s fine Bree, really.” He smiled innocently.

Suddenly, I felt his hand brush against my cheek.

“I really missed you Bree.” He began.  “And I’m really sorr-“

“There you guys are!” Zoe ripped open the bin’s lid.  “I thought the polic—oh, am I interrupting something?”

“Oh, uh, no.  We we’re just getting out Jake, right?”

“Right.” He said, disappointment filled his voice.

Great timing Zoe, I thought sarcastically to myself.

“We are never doing something so stupid again.” Ryan said, as we walked back towards Jake’s.

“Agreed.” Jaycie said, shooting an accusing look towards Zoe.

“Well I thought it was exciting.” She said defensively, crossing her arms.

“Put your hands up where I can see them!” A voice screamed from behind.

“Well, if you thought that was exciting,” I began.

“Prepare to be f//king thrilled.”