Chapter 9: Unbroken

My uncle Luke was a tall strong darker skinned man. As head of the department of defence he was in charge protecting the province of Haven, Pretty important if you ask me, as a military veteran he was seasoned with discipline. He was older around 52 years old, a little passed his half life, and it showed in his face. He isn't quite the man you would assume him to be. His chiseled body structure and stiff posture made him look ruthless, strict, and hateful. In reality he was the most calm and composed man you would ever care to meet. His personality reminded me of a how a grandfather treats his grand kids, showering them with knowledge and kindness all alike. His willpower surpassed even the his father who had served in the war and had become a legend by surviving the worst storm in human history and still come back to the city with the meet he was hunting for. Legend states that he had to surgically amputate his foot that had become hypothermic with his hunting knife and a bottle of whisky in place of anesthesia. I will spare you the details, let's just say he was really hardcore.

My uncle spent most of his time traveling from outpost to outpost inspecting and sometimes fighting off attacks from the Hunns, at times it seemed that the Hunns waited for my uncle to arrive to attempt an attack. At some point rumours had spread that the Hunns offered a large sum of money for my uncle Luke's head (No one had the guts to even try it). The Hunns did come close once.

My uncle Luke had been visiting an outpost in the Northern province of Heaven and it didn't go well. It seemed as though the Hunns knew there every move and they had to fall back to another outpost, the next day they had attempted to take it back and were successful, but my uncle and been injured. As he attempted to carry one of his injured men to safety there was an explosion which knocked him over and as he tried to catch himself he landed with all of his weight plus the weight of the man on his left knee. At first nothing had happened, but he was in a lot of pain and as he made it to safety his knee gave out and he collapsed screaming in pain. The next morning he was airlifted to the haven hospital where he went through surgery.My aunt Jane and I had gone to visit him the next day and the Doctor informed us that he may never walk again.

Any other person would be devastated that they lost their own ability to walk, but not my uncle Luke he was more concerned about the men he had left to fight on their own without him being there. For two long months he spent in the hospital not being able to leave. Then he came home, unable to walk up stairs he had to sleep on the couch in the living room every second of his time was spent talking to an official, a doctor, or filling out official papers. Never once did notice him eat, sleep, or go to the restroom. At some point I figured out that he felt guilty for being injured. I could tell he longed to walk outside or go sleep in his own bed feeling so helpless almost as if unneeded. They had replaced him at work seeing him as un fit for duty and confined him to office work signing papers all day. I once caught him staring out of the front window with tears in his eyes letting his emotions out quietly so no one would see. I assumed he would be this way for the rest of his life, but one day that changed.

6 months after his injuries he began to walk with crutches struggling to stand or even move, 7 months after his injury he could walk with one crutch, 8 months he could now walk without crutches with a limp, 9 months we took a walk outside his first time outside since the injury his face glowing with excitement to finally feel the summer breeze, 10 months he went on walks on his own, 11 months he used the front steps it took him 10 minutes to walk up 7 steps.

A year had past, he started using the indoor stares and slept in his bed for the first time in a year, he was cried when he reached the top in pain. It took him half an hour to reach the top. Two years had past, he could now walk without pain even up stairs, 2 and a half years he went on his first jog, 3 years he climbed a ladder slowly but he made it none the less, 3 and a quarter he walked to the government office to personally drop off papers he had signed, when he entered the building he was met with cheers, 3 and a half years he called the department of defence and asked to be reassigned as the head of the department, they said yes.

4 years later, a month after his 56th birthday, he was scheduled to give a speech in town square and as more and more people heard his story the more decided to see the speech in person. A crowd of 2,000 people gathered to witness it as I stood backstage with my uncle I was 26 years old. He turned to me and said words that I would never forget for the rest of my life "Joker I was able to do this because of you. I didn't want you to see me as broken and worthless, I knew that if I was to be the roll model you disserved I couldn't sit at the window and feel defeated. Always remember this Joker, the difference between success and triumph is willpower and pain." After those words he walked onto the stage and started his speech. In it he spoke about his struggle and what he had learned. In the middle of his speech he turned a page and it slipped off the podium and onto the floor. All at once the crowd fell silent and slowly my uncle walked over knelt down on his injured knee and picked up the paper to place it back on the podium. The crowed cheered in celebration.

I felt my eyes swell up with tears and eventually I could hold them back no longer and let the water flow. I felt a hand on my shoulder, I turned to face an old man with thick rimmed glasses. He handed me a tissue, I took it to wipe my tears, The old man asked "Is that your father?"

"No." I responded "That's my uncle."

"He is a good man." He looked out toward the stage where my uncle stood I also looked as he stood confidant and strong. I turned to the man "Thank you si-." He was gone as if he never even existed in the first place. Confused I looked around for a sign that he had stood next to me. I stood there alone wondering what had just happened.