Chapter Seventeen

Despite the small gathering the following day, her father's funeral was the most elaborate she'd yet attended. It took place within an actual cemetery high on the hills overlooking Bindle and its river. She could taste the ocean on the western breeze.

Strangers wore black and wept. The scent of lilac overpowered her nose so that eyes watered more than they would have displayed in public even on an occasion such as this. Madame Valerie openly sobbed as friends and admirers consoled her. Ella thought she looked silly drowned in black silk with false colors melting down her cheeks. Candice and Bridget stood on either side of Ella, each claiming a hand. Dozens of unfamiliar faces that all looked the same told her how sorry they were.

Sorry for what? Sorry that her father became involved with Madame Valerie, that he had a drinking problem, that Thomas abandoned them, that Charles fell in love with the wrong girl? Sorry?

Wiggling out of the girls' grasp, Ella removed herself from the throng. She did not look back to avoid meeting grazes which society would require her to answer. Instead she tracked the clouds floating like herds of fluffy animals uninterested in her sorrow. She could neither eat nor sleep. Her mind remained in shock among the tombstones.

"I'm sorry for your loss."

"Thankyou," she replied.

"I'm sure this has been very hard on you," he said.

"Yes. It has."

"Do you not remember me?"

Ella drew her eyes away from the sky. She looked at the man with his well groomed appearance and uniform hairstyle. He was a replicate of everyone she'd dealt with the past day. It was her turn to apologize. "I'm sorry. I can't recall. I've been out of sorts."

"Lord Emery. We met at one of the McBeth's balls. You snuck in for the food and left with a prince. A rare talent indeed."

"Yes. I remember now," she said. She recalled how she detested being in his presence. "I should return."

He moved closer towards her. The trees obstructed them from view. "I need be forward with you. Due to the circumstances I cannot do this do this as I want. Miss Rossi, I intend to marry you."

"I believe that requires my consent."

"Yes, it does. And it would be in your best interest to. You have nothing. No money for a dowry, no useful skills, no family."

Ella recoiled at the thought that others might see her worthless. It all seemed so shallow and inconsequential. But Ella also thought about how it may be nice to always how you'll have food and shelter. Still it was a poor exchange and she was not really alone.

"I have a brother," she said.

Lord Emery shook his head. "Not one that is of any help. My heart saddens to see you so alone. If you let me I can make you very happy."

"She is not alone. She has us," Candice said stepping into the conversation. Bridget stood beside her with a stern expression that looked strange on her youthful face. Her avenging angels.

Ella smiled. "Thankyou, Lord Emery. But it seems that I do have a place."

He stood with a blank face as she moved past him to the sisters. Together they walked into the pile of strangers where Ella felt a little less lost. But no less melancholy.