Chapter 23

Mom said she would be staying for two weeks, but she was almost always outside because of business meetings. Kasama naman niya rin si Dad madalas pero napapaisip na lang ako kung hindi ba siya napapagod. Dito na nga lang siya nakakapagpahinga pero puro work pa rin ang ginagawa niya sa supposed to be vacation week niya.

Well, I wasn't the one to talk because I was kinda like that, too. Minsan ay mas gugustuhin ko pang mag-aral kaysa magpahinga lalo na kung malapit na ang exams.

I thought I could have a good rest after that mentally exhausting exchange with Mom, but two days later, she informed us that we were going to a party.

"Party? For what?"

"A birthday party, but it's really a launch party for a new business."

I had to suppress the urge to roll my eyes and sigh after hearing her reply. Of course, another business party, what else? Dahil madalas ay family event ang mga gano'n ay kailangan naming um-attend lalo na't doon nagkakaroon ng exchange of information and business cards. Mom wouldn't let an opportunity like that pass by.

Ven and I had no choice, but to prepare for it. Mabuti pa siya ay may makakausap doon dahil a-attend daw si Ziela, her best friend. Unfortunately, mukhang hindi kasama ang families ng friends ko.

The only good thing about these types of parties was that we could wear pretty clothes and try out styles that could fit the theme.

"Ate, how about this?" sabay pakita sa akin ni Ven ng damit na kakakuha niya lang sa kanyang closet.

"Looks cute," I commented. "I-pair mo na lang sa blazer."

Nag-try rin ako ng puwedeng isuot at mahigit isang oras akong nagp-pair ng dresses, accessories, at shoes. It was fun mixing and matching different styles, but I had to limit them to formal wear. Makalipas ang isa pang oras ay natapos din ako sa pagp-prepare.

I was wearing a long velvet dress, paired with a nude sling bag that has a strawberry-shaped lock. To complete the look, I curled my hair and wore pearl earrings.

"You look great, Steff," praised Dad. He donned his usual tuxedo and slacks, with his neatly trimmed hair highlighting his sharp features.

Venice opted for a cuter look with her pink cocktail dress while Mom picked a fitted black dress that accentuated her glamorous figure.

Around 4 p.m. ay umalis na kami sa bahay. The trip took less than an hour, and the mansion where the party would be held looked magnificent.

The staff waiting outside greeted and assisted us from getting out of the car. I could already tell the level of the people invited in this party by the sheer grandeur of the event.

Pagpasok pa lang ay parang gusto ko na agad umuwi. People were dressed impeccably. Adults were talking to each other with their practiced smile, while most of the teenagers and children looked bored and lost. Agad na hinanap ni Ven si Ziela at mayroon namang kumausap kina Mom at Dad kaya naiwan akong mag-isa sa gilid.

Everyone seemed to be doing their own thing, so might as well do the same. Inilabas ko ang phone ko at nag-check ng social media. My classmates and batchmates were spending their sembreak through vacations, and I was somehow jealous. Gusto ko rin sanang mag-out of town with friends pero mukhang next week pa namin magagawa dahil nasa kanya-kanyang bakasyon pa sila.

I was about to browse the university portal out of boredom and curiosity when I heard someone calling my name. Lifting my head up, I gasped upon seeing a familiar face in the crowd. Waving and walking toward my direction was Patrick Reyes.