Chapter 4

Two weeks had passed since John and Carolyn tried for a baby. John had moved on a bit from the subject, not wanting to pester her, especially if it hadn't worked. Carolyn, however, couldn't let it go. Every morning, she got up before John, going into the bathroom and bending over the toilet, hoping desperately to be sick. But, it didn't happen. She bought an armful of pregnancy tests and hid them under the sink, using one each morning when she went to the bathroom. Every time, it came across as negative. Carolyn was beginning to lose hope. She had decided that it didn't work. And the thought of infertility lingered in the back of her mind. It had to be her, there was no way John could be. After six weeks since trying and negative tests every morning, she came to the conclusion that they would just have to try again.

Carolyn didn't say anything to John as she sent him off that morning and he didn't either. Feeling distraught, Carolyn went about her normal duties, cleaning the kitchen, doing laundry and anything else she could to keep herself busy and not give herself enough free time to break down.

After she finished her chores, she sat down on the couch to watch TV. She had just gotten comfortable when a wave of nausea went over her. She groaned softly as the room began to spin and she felt dizzy. She closed her eyes tightly with hopes it would leave soon. However, it managed to get worse. Her head started to hurt and she felt flat out sick. Carolyn groaned loudly as she barely opened her eyes as she looked to the TV. She had to get to the bathroom.

She ever so slowly sat up and braced her hands against the couch cushions, afraid of falling. Carolyn closed her eyes tightly and stood up, going into the bathroom and kneeling at the toilet. "Uhh," she groaned as she gently laid her forehead against the cold porcelain of the toilet. "What could I have eaten? There's no bug going around, none of the kids were sick." She sniffled. "I just had a burrito with John this morning. Maybe there was bad meat in that."

She was suddenly overwhelmed with sickness and leaned over the toilet as she got sick violently. She got sick for a while before she slid down the toilet to the floor as she laid flat on her stomach, the cold floor felt good against her skin. She laid there for a while as she contemplated calling John. Carolyn finally pushed herself into sitting position and stood up as she sat back on the toilet, needing to pee.

She held her forehead as she sat on the toilet. She still felt terrible. She pulled her hands away and reached for the toilet paper. Her eyes glanced to the trash can and she saw one of her old pregnancy test. Carolyn's eyes widened as she gasped, her eyes glued to it. Pregnant.

Carolyn quickly got off of the toilet before doing anything and she knelt in front of the sink, ripping open her last box of pregnancy tests and getting one. She then hurried back to the toilet as she sat down and took care of business, her eyes closed as she prayed for a baby. "Please, please, please," she whispered. "Please give us a baby, if not for me, for John. Please."

She finished and hurried off of the toilet as she flushed it and gently laid the test in the sink, staring at it. "Come on, come on!" She felt nauseous again and looked down, resting her forehead on her arms as she groaned as she closed her eyes. After a while, Carolyn slowly looked up and looked at the test that now had a result. She gasped again as she saw the colored mark in the middle and she knew exactly what the two colored lines meant- positive.

Carolyn screamed as she stood straight up. Suddenly, she forgot all about being sick and started to cry happily. Finally. It had taken a little bit for it to show up and for her to get sick, but it was finally true- she was pregnant with John Fitzgerald Kennedy Junior's baby.