I. Honey, This Mirror Isn't Big Enough For the Two of Us

Chapter One

And you can cry all you want to, I don't care how much

You'll invest yourself in me, we're not working out (we're not working out)

We're not working out (we're not working out)

And you can't touch my brother and you can't keep my friends

and we're not working out, we're not working out

This time I mean it, never mind the times I've seen it

~Honey, This Mirror Isn't Big Enough For the Two of Us

Two hours. That was all the time I had left. I could do so many things in that amount of time, yet I could not bring myself to do anything but wallow in self-pity. I am a firm believer in girl-power, however I broke the first rule: Don't get too attached. I let myself fall into the deep end, then drown. I allowed his promises of forever and eternity to reach the back recesses of my heart and mind, letting him get further entangled in my feelings than any man (well boy, but that doesn't sound as dramatic does it?) before him. I was stupid. And nothing could change the fact that we were done.

What is the meaning of a special day, of a celebration? Grandiose parties and good wishes? Just a fancy dinner? A night out? A modest date?

Whatever the meaning was, Will Pickler did not seem to care at all, because he was able to shatter all of my dreams for a future with his company in just four -maybe five- words: We're not working out.

I didn't understand- I couldn't understand. Did I do something wrong?

It was our one year anniversary. We were friends before, but at some point during the summer of sophomore year changed that. We became something more, and something less. He filled my world with his eloquently-written stories of love and happiness. The void in my heart was patched with his words of love and desire. But when he cut the rope tying us together, the hole just deepened. I was broken.

He planned us a fancy dinner at the best Italian restaurant in town called Romeo. He had us seated in the back, seperated from the rest of the public, in a private little nook.

We ate in silence, something that rarely happened with us, and he didn't look me in the eyes, but once. It hurt me to think that Will was hiding something from me. I could see it not only in eyes, but also in his expression. He looked pensive and pained. After dessert he finally looked at me and said the words that shattered my heart.

"Us... We- Um, well I don't know how to say this," he started.

"Spit it out silly," I joked and punched him in the arm playfully. He didn't laugh like he normally did. Something was... off. I had initially thought that he was going to say something sappy, like 'I love you so much I'd take a bullet for you,' but I wasn't so sure now.

"We're not working out."

I looked at him in shock, my mouth agape.

"W-w-wh-what?" I stuttered, tears forming in my eyes. Phase 1: Denial

"I think we should break up," he replied, seeming completely unfazed.

"Why?" I told him weakly. Phase 2: Closure

"It's just not working out, between us."

"Okay," I whispered, tears forming in my eyes. Phase 3: Acceptance

Okay, so maybe I went through the phases quickly, but I was so much in shock, that the phases went right through me. Didn't mean it wouldn't hurt though, even after initial acceptance. True acceptance takes time.