Chapter 17: Two Strikes

"And he just ran out! That isn't like him, James! I mean, I totally understand that he was upset because of what I did, but-" I wipe my tears.

I refuse to go back to the party like this. I'm in the music room with James. He's sitting on the floor in front of me and I'm crisscrossed on the couch with my shoes off. They were killing me.

"So you felt the Wrath of Theodore R. Grey, huh?" James rubs my leg comfortably. "Maybe he wasn't ready for this encounter, Phoebs. My guess is, he was mentally unprepared to introduce his chick to the family and he felt under pressure. Ted doesn't do too good under pressure, remember? It's why he works during his free time. To avoid any sudden situations and beat deadlines and all that junk."

- "How can you justify him after how he treated you? Isn't that a little off to you?" I sniff in the most unladylike manner. "I know. I'm not justifying him. I'm just trying to understand him. And you should, too. Give him some time, okay? He's going to want to talk to you about this sooner or later."

- "It was up until I heard about Margo that I stopped understanding him. I don't want to talk to him. Ever!" I cross my arms and huff like a kindergartner. James sighs. "Now you're just being immature." He rolls his eyes and I sigh. "I know. I'm just... Hurt." I bring my knees to my chest and hug myself. "Phoebs..." James stands and sits next to me, pulling me towards him for a hug. "It's not normal for a brother and sister not to fight. It was about time it happened. Took long, too." I smile and sigh.

"Yeah. I don't remember ever fighting with Ted. He was more like a dad to me growing up in Colorado. I guess despite having my father back, I still see Ted as a fatherly figure. I was always so used to having him close. Now he's an adult now. He has his own life, I guess." With Margo.

I exhale and lay my head on James' shoulder. "Still. He was a complete asshole about it." I huff and James stifle his laugh. "What?" I pout. "Nothing. It's just weird hearing you curse. It's not something I'm used to."

- "I've been cursing an awful lot, today." I clear my throat, remembering my humiliating encounter with Sarah and Terrance. "One of your friends told me." He admits and I look up at him, irritated that he knows. "Which one? So I can kick her to the curve."

- "In that case, I won't say. She was worried about you."

- "It was all of them, wasn't it?" I blow my bangs away from my eyes and he chuckles. "Dead giveaway, eh?"

- "A little." I roll my eyes. "It was... so demeaning." I scowl. "Pretty fucked up, yeah. I guess now's not a good time to say it."

- "Say what?"

- "You know. I.T. Y. S."

- "Don't! I'll be angrier!" I jab my finger into his chest and he winces. "Okay, okay! I won't!" He rubs the spot I poked. I lay my head back down and sigh. "I told you so." He quickly mutters in between coughs and I jump to straddle him. "I told you not to say it!" I take fistfuls of his hair and shake his head. "Phoebs, wait!"

"Told. You. Not. To. Say. It!" I bang his head against the cushions and he laughs.
"Phoe-be-ow-stop-it-ow!" He grips my forearms and with a loud growl, pushes me off. I squeal as he twists so that he's over me and I'm securely pinned to the couch.

The tingle is back.

"Told you so, told you so, told you so! What are you gonna do about it, Grey?" He teases, but I say nothing. I gaze up at him with wide eyes and I suddenly find myself staring at his defined pink lips.

He stops laughing and his smile slowly subsides. I'm hyper-aware of his movements, and I can see him lean his head closer.

No! God, no! Not again! Get a grip, Phoebe! This isn't okay!