Chapter 16: A Stranger

★Ted★

"How do you plan to do that?" Margo tilts her head. "My mother was the one in charge of shipping the invitations. I don't think it was her though. Because she seemed surprised to meet you."

- "But do you think she might know who sent it? They came to my home personally." I think for a moment. It looked like an official invitation. The envelopes Mom customised and ordered, so it had to be someone who knows Mom. Maybe she can elaborate.

I tell Margo to stay here. I leave her by the beverages and walk back to my family's table. "Hey, Mom." Mom turns to me with her usual radiant smile and I sit next to her, wrapping a protective arm around her.  "I don't think I mentioned it, but thanks for inviting Margo. I know your invitations were limited."

-" Oh, they weren't, baby. But it wasn't me who invited her."

- "It wasn't? Then who could it have been?"

- "Hmm. Well, I could only think of one person. Your sister took an envelope for herself a couple weeks ago. She said she was inviting a friend and insisted on taking an envelope, so I gave it to her.  Maybe it was her? Don't forget to thank her." Mom smiles and I smile back. "I intend to." I  kiss her brow before I take my leave.

When I'm farther away, I swallow. Oh no. No, not my little sister. Does she know? How much does she know? I fake a smile and walk faster towards the exit. "Uh, T-Ted?" Margo calls to me awkwardly. "Margo. When did you find the invitation?"

- "Monday when I got back. About two weeks ago." Shit, shit, shit!

"My sister." I breathe harshly, panicking as my mind reels. "Your... sister?"

- "My fucking sister, Margo!" I growl quietly, almost losing my cool.

"I knew I'd seen her somewhere..." she whispers to herself. "What!?" I hiss. "You saw her? Where!? When!?"

-  "A-at your apartment one morning... I was exiting the elevator. A little girl stood in front of me. She seemed surprised to see me. I didn't think too much of it. I-I thought she lived there."

- "And you didn't fucking tell me why!?"

- "I didn't know she was related to you in some way!"

- "Well, you could've mentioned it as soon as you recognized her face, For. Fuck's. Sakes. Margo!" I scream/whisper so hard, my throat vibrates.

She bows her head in shame and I massage the bridge of my nose. "Yep. Reverse prayer." I exhale, emphasizing strain. "What?" She looks up without making eye contact.

- "I'm brainstorming on how I'm going to punish and fuck the living Hell out of you."

- "O-Oh." She turns bright red.

"Well... will you go talk to her?" Margo asks quietly, taking in my negative reaction. Fuck. I should. "Go to my family's table. I'll be right back." She nods, remembering not to call me master and I exit the marquee. When I'm in the exit, I glance to both directions and let a frustrating groan.

She definitely doesn't have her phone with her. I pull mine out and speed dial James. "Yeah." He sounds flustered. "James, where's Phoebe?"

- "She's with me. We're... out in the meadow." What are those two doing by themselves? The thought of Phoebe and James alone suddenly fills me with uncertainty and exasperation, and it only feeds my rage. I disregard the thought and decide that's a problem for later. "Bring Phoebe back. Now."

- "Uh, sure, man. You okay?"

- "Just hurry up!"

-"Okay, okay. Easy. We're on our way."