Mailbox: Chapter 3, Barley's Ears

MAILBOX: A Scattershot Novel of Racing, Dares and Danger, Occasional Nakedness, and Faith by Nancy Freund, Gobreau Press, 2015, Chapter 3: Barley's Ears                      

If someone asked me the best part of your dog I'd say two things. I'd say "all of him," and I'd also say "his ears." Barley has the best ears, the way they stick up when he's interested in something and he tips his head to the side, it's so cute. He has brown eyes. Sometimes he gets so happy when he jumps around wagging his tail so hard, it spins him in circles. Sometimes he gets so hyper that his ears flip inside out. But the soft fur right at the edges of his ears when he's just calm is my favorite. Also, his ears smell good, and when you rub them, sometimes he groans. "Mmrrrh, Mmrrrh." Especially if we've been out of town, like in Florida or California to see our grandparents, and right when he first sees us when we come back, that's when he really goes crazy. Maybe he gives up and he thinks we will never come back and bring him home again, so then when he sees us, he goes crazy with love. He stays in a nice kennel with nice dogs, but I think he likes to be home with us the most. Chris is the best at rubbing his ears. Also Barley does the most tricks for Chris, like play dead, sit, stay, lie down, roll-over, catch, beg, and shake hands. Sometimes when he gets really excited, he does all of his tricks in a row. His ears are the best, but sometimes his feet smell good too. Like grass and popcorn.

The reason I say "all of him" is because no matter if you're happy or sad or lonely or someone was mean to you, or you got a bad grade, or maybe you have something to celebrate, it's always better when Barley's there with you. Chris thinks so too, and of course my dad because he grew up with dogs, and he's the one mostly who taught Chris and me to teach Barley his tricks, but even my mom who grew up in New York and never had any pets loves Barley. Everybody needs someone to love and hug, and everyone loves and hugs Barley.

*

Thanks for reading! If you liked it, please click your vote to say so.

*

Want more MAILBOX? Great! Check back for new uploads 3x/week - M,W, F. You can also go to Amazon for the full book or ask your library or bookstore for a print copy. Come sign up at www.nancyfreund.com to know to know about promo pricing, giveaways, and good news.

Thank you for reading. ~ your Freund, Nancy