Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Nikki

Nikki screamed as one of the raiders topped the wall and advanced on her. “Hello little one, I won’t hurt you…” He said in a creepy voice that told her that was just what he intended to do. She screamed again in terror as he pulled out a dagger, its blade seemed to be covered in some kind of sticky residue… “I will help you mi-!” A guard had started to say as he raced toward her, but stopped when a raider slit his throat. The ogre raider with its warty green skin continued to walk toward her, and he raised his dagger to plunge it into her heart. Nikki closed her eyes and everything slowed down, several things happening at once.

Just as the ogre started to bring the dagger down, her father appeared out of nowhere and deflected the blade with his hand. Her father then shot the ogre with the death burst, and it fell to the ground, the blade clattering against the stone. Her father turned to her, his face creased with worry. “Of all the days to launch a raid… are you alright little flower?” Nikki was numb all over. But she nodded shakily, and her father smiled reassuringly at her.

“It will be alright, we have got everything under control now. Go back to the hou-“Nikki looked up in concern when her father stopped speaking suddenly, and cried out in horror when he toppled over. She caught him, and began screaming for help. The guards came running and they carried him to the hospital, a concerned Nikki tagging along.

Nikki sat in a chair beside her mother in the waiting room, still slightly shocked at the

events that had led to her being here. She didn’t know what had happened to her father, no one would tell her, or maybe they didn’t know either. Her mother was fretting, as usual; she was just that sort of person.

 Nikki’s little sister sat in her mothers lap, her cute little face serious for once as she had caught onto the mood in the room. A nurse walked into the room, and Nikki and her mother both stood up immeidiatly. “How is he?” Her mother asked, her blue eyes intense.

Their family all had the same blonde hair and blue eyes. Her little sister was the only one to have curly hair, since her mother and Nikki herself had straight hair. Her father must have curly hair, she thought, but it was never long enough to tell. “The doctor would like to speak to you about that, Mrs. Sparrow.” The nurse said, and led them to room number 112.

In it her father lay prone on a bed and white as the sheets that he lay in. The doctor had blue wings and sharp green eyes, eyes that looked at them sadly as he walked toward them. “Mrs. Sparrow, may I speak plainly?” He asked, and Nikki’s mother nodded, covering her little sister’s ears with her hands. “Well, this will be quite a shock, and I am so, so sorry but, your husband has been poisoned… with spectacl. It got into his system through a cut in his wrist, which must have gotten there when he deflected the blade.” Nikki’s mother gasped, and started sobbing.

Nikki looked around, confused. “What is that? Mom, what is spectacl, and what’s so bad about it?” She asked. The docter looked at her kindly. “My dear, spectacl is incurable.” He said. Nikki shook her head frantically. “No… you have an antidote, don’t you? If, if we don’t then the elves must, right… right?!” She asked, hearing her voice rise. Her mother sobbed louder. “There is… an antidote.” He said slowly. “Well than why can’t we get it?” She asked. “Because… the only antidote is the bloodflower. And the bloodflower… can only be found in Dark territory.” He said. Nikki cried out, as if from physical pain.

Beings of the Light never, ever went onto Dark territory. Seriously, not a single Light had ever set foot on Dark territory. And to do so… well Nikki didn’t know what they did to the Light that crossed The Border. What she did know was that her father would die without that antidote.