Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Drake

Drake woke the next morning to find a face leaning over him. That face was attached to a body, the body of his one friend, Jasper. “Drake, are you awake?” He whispered in Drake’s ear. “I am now.” He groaned. “Good, cause I need your help. I am in a load of trouble.”He said. Drake felt like groaning again,”Jasper, what have you done now?” He asked, and rolled out of bed. He pulled on his shirt as Jasper talked.

“Well, I told Slade that I would get him 5 gargoyles to make up for the 2 I was supposed to get. And I haven’t gone hunting yet.” Jasper said, watching him gulp down some of his morning blood. “When does he want it?” Drake asked in between gulps. “This afternoon.” Jasper said, and Drake nearly spewed out the blood in his mouth.

 “Jasper! You know what Slade is like when he doesn’t get his blood! Let’s go.” Jasper looked relieved as he followed Drake out the door.

Jasper was constantly doing things like this, and Drake was constantly cleaning up his messes. But he didn’t mind because he knew Jasper would do the same for him. Ever since Drake had saved Jasper’s butt for the first time in 1st grade, the two had been inseperable. Jasper had long black hair and black eyes, like all vampires did.

He had a narrow face that reminded him of a fox, and a mouth that was always turned up in a sly grin. Drake didn’t have a lot of friends, but Jasper was enough for him. They were both social outcasts, and that suited them just fine. Saving Jasper was what kept Drake from going crazy with boredom. But he didn’t like to go hunting with him to much since he tended to scare away all of the game.

The two headed out of the village, ignored by the vamps walking around talking to each other. “Jasper, while I’m hunting, do try to be quiet.” Drake whispered to him as they entered the forest. “Yeah yeah alright Mr. Death Blade.” Jasper whispered back. Drake swung around to look at him, surprised. “How do you know about that stupid nickname?” He asked. Jasper laughed quietly. “Dude your famous amoung the gargoyles!”

 Drake smirked. “Gee I feel so loved.” He said, and they laughed. “Right, serious now. Let’s get us 5 gargoyles.”

“Alright, that’s the last of them!” Jasper said. Drake sighed in relief, he was still feeling the effects of the poison. “Good, let’s head back.” Drake said, and they started walking, the game sacks slung over their shoulders. “Thanks Drake, I owe you one.” Jasper said as they walked through the dreary woods. “Anytime, Jasper. And this makes it 786.” He said. Jasper looked at him, the question on his face. “786 times I helped you out.” Drake explained. Jasper laughed. “You were keeping track?” He asked. Drake nodded, grinning.

 “Yup. And one day I’ll cash in all of those-“ Drake stopped as a scream rent the air. “Holy Pit what was that?!” Jasper exclaimed. “It was coming from over there, come on!” Drake yelled and they took off running in the direction of the sound.

Another scream, this one much more desperate, ripped through the trees. Drake ran faster, wondering what fool was alerting all of the monsters in the district of its presence. Must be a young vamp for its scream to sound so shrill, Drake thought. Drake and Jasper burst through the trees into a clearing to find a scene that for a moment caused both of their jaws to drop. A small figure was backed against a tree, and a gorolf had it trapped. The massive squat beast turned its head, bloodred eyes blazing. Drake focused on the immediate threat, the gorolf.

A gorolf was one of the more feared beasts that roamed the Dark woods, because it was intelligant as well as strong. The fact that it could think meant that it could potentially rip you apart, and watch for threats at the same time. Gorolfs had a mouth brimming with razor sharp teeth, and fangs the size of Drake’s arm, and as thick around, too. The gorolfs personal preferance was to eat its victim alive, mostly because its sick little mind loved to hear the death screams. It had long claws, a whiplike tail, stood on two legs, and even had horns atop its head. The shaggy brown creature was practically made to be a top predator.