Chapter 10

Dawn awoke to a crash. Her eyes went wide as last night played through her head. Oh no. They're here. Now all she could remember was the glint of their weapon in the moonlight. They've come back to finish the job. She found herself trying to hide in the couch cushions. Shutting her eyes, she waited.

Waited for something never to come. Instead, a familiar voice asked her, "what are you doing on the couch?" She opened her eyes and stared back at him. In his hand was a dustpan filled with shards of glass.

"What happened?" Her eyes were glued to the shards. Maybe I'm not dead yet, she relaxed a little at the thought.

"Oh, just dropped a cup." He rubbed the back of his neck with his free hand. "Now answer my question." Did he just change the subject?

"I just fell asleep watching television last night." She got defensive.

"Uh huh, sure." He didn't buy it for a second. "That's a strange way to be sleeping."

Now she was just getting annoyed with him. "I'm sorry that not everyone can be perfect like you."

He held his free hand up. "Alright, alright." He sighed, starting to walk off. "Jeez, seems like I'm getting on everyone's nerves lately." He muttered loud enough for her to hear.

"Maybe that's because you are." She said, reaching down and grabbing the remote before switching off the television.

Dean froze, motionless. She expected for him to explode, to yell, to react, but he just shook his head slightly before walking away. That was odd. She tossed the remote onto the couch and stood. Looking down at her outfit, she wrinkled her nose. Definitely need to change.

She walked up the steps and opened her door, stepping inside. Shutting the door behind her, she walked over to her dresser. Examining the contents of her drawer, she pulled out a sleek white dress. Pulling her clothes over her head and discarding it onto the floor, she slipped into the dress. Walking over to the mirror, she frowned. Something's missing, she spun around once.

Taking the bow out of her hair, she grabbed a brush out of her desk and ran it through her hair, untangling any knots. Setting the brush back down, she readjusted the bow into her hair. Perfection, she smiled at the reflection. "What are you getting dressed up for?"

"Nothing, why?" Dawn turned.

A glimmer shined in Nadia's eye. "Hey Dawn, want a makeover?"

"Sure?" Dawn was not exactly sure what she was agreeing too though.

A few minutes later and the two were both sitting on her bed with her cosmetics. "Keep still, you're squirming." Nadia tried again to apply something onto her eyes. Dawn flinched, something soft tickling her eyelids. "You did it again!" She wasn't scolding but laughing. "Let me just," she tried again. "There, finished! You can open your eyes now."

Dawn opened her eyes and blinked something out of her eye. "Are we done yet?" She was starting to wish she didn't agree to this.

Nadia smiled mischievously. "Unless you want me to do a full body makeover?"

Dawn shook her head violently. "No thanks, I'm good!"

Nadia chuckled. "Alright, but come see me if you change your mind." Dawn could hear her laughter down the hallway.

As she put her cosmetics away, she paused. My journal, she managed to grab it and set the makeup down. Turning it to her side, she sighed. Still locked. Setting it on top of her desk, she left the room, suddenly wanting something a little heavy to drink.

Who's that coming down the stairs? Dean stood frozen, enchanted by the mysterious woman coming down the steps. She stopped at the bottom of the steps and looked him in the eyes. "Dawn?" He got out breathlessly.

The woman kept her vivid gaze on him. "Yeah?" She frowned softly. "What is it?"

He blinked. "Oh, nothing." His gaze was stuck on her. 

"Okay then." She disappeared into the kitchen.

Sighing, his eyes kept to the kitchen. What was the feeling in my chest? It was like my heart was being constricted. His body was slowly coming to life. Does she... Remember? A smile grew on his face.  The realistic side of him came crashing down, ruining his fantasy. Just because she dresses nice doesn't mean she remembers.

He ran a hand through his hair. Dawn entered the room, holding a bottle in one of her hands. Shes not doing what I think shes doing, he bit his tongue before he started spewing a ray of curse words. "What is that?" He said carefully.

She glanced at the bottle and shrugged. "Alcohol. why, you want some?"

He shook his head. "No thanks." His eyes were glued on her again. Before she was halfway up the steps he spoke up. "Wait, Dawn."

She turned around. "Hmm?"

"What's with the outfit?"

"I just wanted to wear this, why?" She looked offended, almost hurt.

He smiled softly. "You look nice. Great even." And he meant every word of it.

Dawn returned his smile and continued up the steps. She paused in front of her room, shivering. Has there always been a breeze? Stepping inside, she froze. The curtains were blowing in the wind. That wasn't open when I left. As she walked to the window, one thought was clear in her head. I have a bad feeling about this.

She peeked out the window and gulped. A ladder rested on the side of the house. This can't be happening, this can't be happening. She pulled her head out of the window and shut it. Dawn locked the window and backed away. As she passed her desk, she paused. Wait a second, she looked over her desk. Where is it?!

She frantically searched over her desk. "No, no, no, no!" She cried out, coming empty handed. It's gone. My journals gone. In its place was a note from magazines clippings. Shakily, she picked up the note and read it out loud. "You can't run forever, my little mouse."