Chapter 6 - Vander Treyani

Hello! Just to let you know, the picture above is supposed to be Rehnnyn Taeralen. Yes, I know it's Obi-Wan Kenobi, but in this picture I think he looks like a wizard! Besides, Ewan McGregor is casted as Rehnnyn.

"No!" Jay shrieked at me. "No!" I practically had to drag her away from her mother's cold, dead body.

"We have to go, Jay! They'll find us. They'll be here by nightfall! We have to go," I whispered.

"It's all my fault. At least let me - let me bury her," Jay said.

"Take the arrow out, then. We could use it," I said. What was her deal, anyway? I mean my parents betrayed me in the worst way possible. They could've just kicked me out. Instead, they decided to get a little money off of my, say, abnormality. And am I crying about it?

I mean, sure, I missed them, but - I - they - they betrayed me! They sold me for a couple thousand zelons because I was special. That's all. Special.

Switching to Seldan, I began to yell, "A der ga vander sonro! Da vander se sonro! A per sonro! A per ga treyani vander sonro!"

"Vander?" Jay stared at me, her nose crinkling.

"I - I don't know..." I whispered in shame. "I'm so, so sorry about your mother. I could tell she was a wonderful, dedicated woman in the short time I knew her," I began as Devenawyn's cold body was lifted into the stream by Jay.

"My mother, Devenawyn Leina Nex, was a patient, caring woman who was a decent mother and a wonderful person. She - she -" Jay welcomed an army of little salt soldiers on her cheeks. "She was amazing. And I loved - love her." Jay couldn't continue. With one last look at Devenawyn's limp body caught in the current of the stream, she pivoted with one turn and didn't look back.

After that, for hours the only sounds were our boots crunching on top of the colorful fallen leaves, almost out of place in this dreary world. We reached the third region once more. I could tell it was absolutely necessary for Jay to speak to at least one of her deceased family members, and I knew Rehnnyn Taeralyn the Wizard could certainly help with that.

"Come on. The disguises didn't work out last time, clearly," Jay held back another sob at the thought of her dead mother. "Let's just wait until nightfall," she whispered.

After two hours of playing macet monem with pebbles and sticks in the dirt silently, Jay and I snuck under the weak fence once more in that week and were on a mission to make sure I knocked on the correct door this time. Creeping around to the back door of the wizard's house, my hand on my sharpened rock as a substitute for our missing weapons, I tapped my fingers quietly. Oh, why didn't I do this the first time? It would save me from having to console Jay. It would save Jay from having to be consoled. I hated seeing her like that.

It was all my fault. Devenawyn would've died in those dungeons sooner or later, but not on my back. She wouldn't have died due to an error in my plan.

"Rifat!" A booming, echoing voice yelled in Seldan, meaning, "Enter!" Jay reached for the door, but before she could even touch the door knob it swung open and she tripped over her own feet into the house.

"Damn wizards," she grumbled.

"I heard that, Miss Nex," The tall, brown haired wizard spoke in an accent I had never heard before, something from the west, maybe. I could tell Jay was surprised to see a human in the dwarf region.

"Mr. Taeralen, sir! Hello!" I greeted.

"Oh, my dragon boy, how many times have I told you not to bother with my mouthful of a last name?" The wizard asked.