✎ Chapter One : Love at First Sight

Call me by the name, Lorenzo. I am just only sixteen when I arrive in the Philippines to be an officer. The King back in Spain appointed and invited me to be here. I didn’t notice he could see me much, since my father is an aristocrat. Probably my father told him about me that I do a lot of athletic skills in such young age.

At first I was too hesitant to accept the invitation. Probably I was too lazy to get in the boat. Himph. I preferably stay home and do some work outs. But my father said, “It is for the glory of God and Spain if you go there!” I lazily accepted it and finally ended up here in this humid place, Manila.

The Philippines is a colony of Spain. It started on the 16th century where my ancestor, Ferdinand Magellan, a Portuguese-turned-Spanish explorer came to the Philippines. On their way back home, Antonio Pigafetta, his secretary, reported that my ancestor died in the Philippines. And later the King decided that they should colonize this country.

I was expected to see the Governor General. After waking up from the headquarters, I made my way to Malacañan, where the seat of the Governor General is. As I turned the knob, I was stopped by his secretary. “Buenos Días. The Governor General is not there. He left you a note, Lorenzo,” Teresa handed me a paper. “Thanks,” I made a huge smile.

Lorenzo, just roam around the streets. You know what to do—Governor General, I read.

“So I only wasted my time waking up early?! That’s ridiculous!” I complained. “Your fellow officers said that as well. Alejandro was the first one appointed to go here. He went here dawn I guess. He even said to me he didn’t even slept!” she chuckles. Sweet smile. Beautiful blue eyes beneath her glasses. Long brown hair. Perfect shape. What more can you ask for her?

Teresa and I seem to get along. Actually, all of the officers who are single liked her. But the problem between us is the age difference. She’s 31 and I’m only 16. My closest friend, Facundo, told me that she liked me. But what about the 15 years span? That’s just gross.

“I better get going. Duties first,” I winked at her. I felt her blushed as I walked away.

Streets in Manila are beautiful. But I hate it when it’s crowded. Right now, I am enjoying the humid air, the smell of pan de sal, clean street...oh yes.

~*~*Another Point of View*~*~

I used to sew in the mornings. Now I can’t. Mama got angry when she found out that my needles were everywhere in the kitchen and our sala. She said that Antonio, my eldest brother, was almost pricked in his toes. Sigh.

Mama is always like that. She doesn’t like our things scattered, most especially to Juanna, my older sister.

Juanna is the messiest in the family. When you get a chance to see our room (both of us share bedrooms), Juanna’s place is crowded with many papers and quills. Mama said that in my place, it’s the cleanest she ever seen in her children.

Now I’m bored. I don’t know what to do. I can’t sew. I can’t eat for I am full. Sigh. I made my way to our balcony with my nurse, Protacia.

Air seems to be cool. No wonder it’s the rarest day of the year. This day is the best weather, as I have noticed.

I rest my palms in the handrails and stuck out my foot in the baluster. But a strong force from a familiar hand pulled me away. “Don’t stick it out, Esperanza! You’ll be dead by your mother if she sees you that,” she hushes. I harshly pull away my foot and rolled my eyes.

She never calls me ‘señorita.’ That’s what I hate about our servants. They never ever call me a title! It’s always a plain Esperanza.

But Mama said that we are all equal. All of us. She told our servants to never call us titles such as Señorita, Señor, Señora…and such.