NIE's BA/BSc in Education

Ok, it was very melodramatic to say that MOE doesn't want me anymore but it did feel that way.

To be very specific, the man on the other side of the line said, "MOE doesn't have "drama" as a teaching subject."

I was stumped. How could that be? Had I just imagined my drama teachers and all the drama teachers I have met while I was at Singapore's Drama Educator's Association? After accepting what the man had to say - including his obvious attempts at making sure I knew that all he had told me was strictly "if you are awarded the scholarship" - I texted my drama teacher.

The bottom line of that conversation is, the ministry's not sure if drama is suitable for the Singaporean classroom - which my objective mind understood.

The only way I could have the remote chance of teaching drama - as all the drama teachers I have met - is if I actually took up a Bachelors of Arts or Science (BA and BSc respectively) in the National Institute of Education (NIE) in Singapore. And it also meant that I have to take up drama as 1 of my 2 teaching subjects.

Sometimes, it's a bit funny how life turns out.

The thing is, I was personally against going to take up the BA/BSc in Education. It is not that the modules are bad; I'm sure that as an institute that has been hosting many teachers in the region says something about the rigour (or at least the prestige) of the programme. I was just quite disappointed in the Drama modules they had offered - most of them I had covered whilst studying for my diploma. And I really wanted to be able to learn something more in my 4 years.

I'm giving it another look. And I'm realising that in actual fact, I can't take most of the academic subjects I have an interest in learning and passing down to students.

A list of teaching subjects I have the qualifications to learn include (I have saved myself the misery of typing out the other qualifications I do not possess):

1.  Biology - "A good pass at GCE 'O' Level in Biology"

2. Drama - "No academic pre-requisites." (I do have academic qualifications though...); "Candidates will be required to pass a group workshop-interview." (ok, taking it in stride...) ; "The interview will explore interest in and past experience of Drama" (done upon your kind request) ; and "Candidates are required to be adventurous, imaginative and spontaneous." (manageable)

3. English - "At least a Grade B3 pass at GCE 'O' Level in English Language"

4. Geography - "No pre-requisites"

5. History - "No pre-requisites"

Honestly, I was quite interested in "Family and Consumer Sciences" because I was genuinely quite interested in Home Economics back in my day. I take a lot of pride in remembering how to sew.

Anyway, back to the topic. God willing. It is as my drama teacher said.

Apparently, my brain was being hijacked by that melodramatic side of me.

I do have options:

BA (Ed) - Drama and English Language

BA (Ed) - Drama and History

BA (Ed) - Drama and Geography

BA (Ed) - Drama and Biology

And if I was really going for a new path in life:

BA (Ed) - English Language and History

BA (Ed) - English Language and Geography

BA (Ed) - History and Geography

BA (Ed) - Biology and English Language

BA (Ed) - Biology and Geography

BA (Ed) - Biology and History

Is it me or does it feel like they really need Biology teachers?

Either way, for the sake of the education of future generations, I shall spare the future generations of Singapore from my understandings of Biology and Geography.

Life Option(s):

NIE's BA (Ed) - Drama and English Language

NIE's BA (Ed) - Drama and History